pdfbox-users mailing list archives

From Brendan Jurd <dire...@gmail.com>
Subject Failure to render text
Date Fri, 11 Jan 2013 04:39:08 GMT
Hi there,

I am trying to use pdfbox 1.7.1 to render PDFs in my application, with
mixed success.  PDFs that consist of a single image for each page
(such as faxed TIFFs that have been converted to PDF) render quite
well, but PDFs containing text do not.

I've attached a copy of a CUPS printer test page.  Viewed in Adobe
Reader, the document renders just fine.  In my application, using
pdfbox's convertToImage, none of the text is rendered, nor the CUPS
logo.  The only thing visibly rendered is the black border.  Otherwise
the page is blank white.

pdfbox doesn't throw or log any exceptions.  I've attached all the
DEBUG output generated in PDFStreamEngine while the page is failing to
render.

The test page was generated as postscript by CUPS, and then converted
to PDF by the ps2pdf utility.

I've tried to work around this using other libraries.  pdfrenderer
manages to render the CUPS test page just fine, but completely bombs
out trying to render TIFFs.  ICEpdf pro renders both types, but the
free version fails on text.

Is there a way I can make this work with pdfbox?  Or, is there some
disciplined way to determine at runtime when pdfbox is failing to
render, so I can switch over to a different rendering library as
needed?

Cheers,
BJ