pdfbox-users mailing list archives

From Andreas Lehmkuehler <andr...@lehmi.de>
Subject Re: Failure to render text
Date Mon, 14 Jan 2013 07:26:36 GMT
Hi,

Am 13.01.2013 22:58, schrieb Brendan Jurd:
> On 11 January 2013 17:44, Andreas Lehmkuehler <andreas@lehmi.de> wrote:
>> First of all, please subscribe yourself to the mailing list [1] otherwise
>> you won't get any answers in the future. Your're getting this one solely
>> because I cc'ed you manually.
>>

> I have done so.
+1 :-)

>> Your attachments didn't make it due to some restrictions to the mailing
>> list. But as moderator I had access and I ran some tests ...
>
> Okay.  What is your preferred way for me to make files available to the list?
An URL for a download or attach it to a JIRA [1] ticket when reporting a bug

>> Hmmm, it works fine for me using 1.7.1. Did you ever try to use the
>> PDFReader provided by PDFBox. If it works maybe something with your code is
>> wrong.
>
> I just tried that.  PDFReader renders the black border, and the CUPS
> logo graphic, but none of the text.  I used File -> Save as Image to
> export the failed render.  You can view it at [1], and the original
> PDF is at [2].
>
> So, if it is working for you and not for me, I figure that the problem
> has something to do with my operating environment.  This is Gentoo
> Linux x86_64 with KDE.  I tried it on Windows Server 2008 64-bit, and
> it worked fine there.  I then tried it on Ubuntu with GNOME and got
> the same result as Gentoo/KDE.  Any ideas what could cause the same
> pdfbox JAR to render text on some systems but not others?  Is it
> having trouble acquiring fonts, perhaps?
OK, it seems to be your environment. Let me guess you are using OpenJDK7,
aren't you? I'm experiencing some issues with fonts after installing fedora 17
which comes with an OpneJDK7. I've switched to the "official" oracle jdk7 and
everything works as expected.

> Cheers,
> BJ
>
> [1] https://docs.google.com/file/d/0B1-kBA9pHgNYLWpoVnRVanhpVnM/edit