pdfbox-users mailing list archives

From Andreas Lehmkuehler <andr...@lehmi.de>
Subject Re: Failure to render text
Date Fri, 11 Jan 2013 06:44:39 GMT
Hi,

Am 11.01.2013 05:39, schrieb Brendan Jurd:
> Hi there,
First of all, please subscribe yourself to the mailing list [1] otherwise you
won't get any answers in the future. Your're getting this one solely because I
cc'ed you manually.

> I am trying to use pdfbox 1.7.1 to render PDFs in my application, with
> mixed success.  PDFs that consist of a single image for each page
> (such as faxed TIFFs that have been converted to PDF) render quite
> well, but PDFs containing text do not.
>
> I've attached a copy of a CUPS printer test page.  Viewed in Adobe
> Reader, the document renders just fine.  In my application, using
> pdfbox's convertToImage, none of the text is rendered, nor the CUPS
> logo.  The only thing visibly rendered is the black border.  Otherwise
> the page is blank white.
Your attachments didn't make it due to some restrictions to the mailing list.
But as moderator I had access and I ran some tests ...

> pdfbox doesn't throw or log any exceptions.  I've attached all the
> DEBUG output generated in PDFStreamEngine while the page is failing to
> render.
>
> The test page was generated as postscript by CUPS, and then converted
> to PDF by the ps2pdf utility.
>
> I've tried to work around this using other libraries.  pdfrenderer
> manages to render the CUPS test page just fine, but completely bombs
> out trying to render TIFFs.  ICEpdf pro renders both types, but the
> free version fails on text.
>
> Is there a way I can make this work with pdfbox?  Or, is there some
> disciplined way to determine at runtime when pdfbox is failing to
> render, so I can switch over to a different rendering library as
> needed?
Hmmm, it works fine for me using 1.7.1. Did you ever try to use the PDFReader
provided by PDFBox. If it works maybe something with your code is wrong.

> Cheers,
> BJ

BR
Andreas Lehmkühler