pdfbox-users mailing list archives

From Jukka Zitting <jukka.zitt...@gmail.com>
Subject Re: Adobe Licence links
Date Sat, 03 Mar 2012 07:00:27 GMT
Hi,

On Sat, Mar 3, 2012 at 6:01 AM, Stephen Haggai <stephenhaggai@gmail.com> wrote:
> I have looked at one of the font files (Courier.afm) and it says,
> "Notice Copyright (c) 1989, 1990, 1991, 1992, 1993, 1997 Adobe Systems
> Incorporated.  All Rights Reserved.". My assumption here is that the
> phrase "All Rights Reserved" means that I cannot use this file for any
> purpose and as such cannot use for my program. Is that right? My
> apologies for my ignorance as I am pretty new to copyright stuff.

Ah, the afm files don't have full license headers (the cmap ones do).

The license for using the afm files is included in the MustRead.html
file inside the same package. The file says:

    This file and the 14 PostScript(R) AFM files it accompanies may be
    used, copied, and distributed for any purpose and without charge,
    with or without modification, provided that all copyright notices
    are retained; that the AFM files are not distributed without this
    file; that all modifications to this file or any of the AFM files
    are prominently noted in the modified file(s); and that this
    paragraph is not modified. Adobe Systems has no responsibility or
    obligation to support the use of the AFM files.

BR,

Jukka Zitting