pdfbox-users mailing list archives

From Chris Bamford <cbamf...@mimecast.com>
Subject Pushback buffer is full
Date Tue, 07 Feb 2012 17:46:44 GMT
Hi, I wonder if anyone can help ...

I use pdfbox 1.6.0 to process a lot of documents and most of the time it does a superb job.
 However, there are some documents it cannot seem to cope with and I was wondering if there's
anything I could do about it.  They always seem to have the following characteristics:

  -  auto-generated PDFs consisting mostly of images (little or no real text)
  -  not especially large (tens of megabytes, rather than hundreds)

I am guessing from the exception (java.io.IOException: Push back buffer is full) that it is
some kind of memory constraint, but as mentioned above, the data isn't that large.  For example
I get the exception on a 25Mb file when my JVM has 1Gb memory allocation!  Looking at the
file in a PDF viewer I see it has 3 pages, each one holding a single picture. Furthermore,
other, much larger PDFs (hundreds of Mb) containing lots of text and images work perfectly.

Unfortunately I cannot supply an example file at this time for customer confidentiality reasons,
but I was hoping someone might have overcome the same issue elsewhere?

Thanks for any tips ...

- Chris

Chris Bamford
Software Engineer

2 - 8 Balfe Street
Kings Cross,
London, N1 9EG

mobile +44 7860 405292
tel: +44 (0) 207 843 2300
web www.mimecast.com

The information contained in this communication from cbamford@mimecast.com is confidential
and may be legally privileged. It is intended solely for use by users@pdfbox.apache.org and
others authorized to receive it. If you are not users@pdfbox.apache.org you are hereby notified
that any disclosure, copying, distribution or taking action in reliance of the contents of
this information is strictly prohibited and may be unlawful.

Mimecast Ltd. is a company registered in England and Wales with the company number 4698693
VAT No. GB 832 5179 29
Registered Office:2 - 8 Balfe Street, Kings Cross London, N1 9EG Email Address: info@mimecast.com

This email message has been scanned for viruses by Mimecast.
Mimecast delivers a complete managed email solution from a single web based platform.