pdfbox-users mailing list archives

From Haris Javaid <Haris.Jav...@thoughtcorp.com>
Subject Need help with Overlay for Layout pages
Date Fri, 09 Dec 2011 17:39:11 GMT
Hello there,
We are working on a product that supports highlighting PDF documents. We recently came across
a situation where when trying to highlight  a pdf that was converted into a PDF from word
by some third part library, threw UnsupportedOperationException. It happened in Overlay.java.

private void collectLayoutPages( List pages) throws IOException
    {
        Iterator pagesIter = pages.iterator();
        while( pagesIter.hasNext() )
        {
            PDPage page = (PDPage)pagesIter.next();
            COSBase contents = page.getCOSDictionary().getDictionaryObject( COSName.CONTENTS
);
            PDResources resources = page.findResources();
            if( resources == null )
            {
                resources = new PDResources();
                page.setResources( resources );
            }
            COSDictionary res = resources.getCOSDictionary();

            if( contents instanceof COSStream )
            {
                COSStream stream = (COSStream) contents;
                Map objectNameMap = new TreeMap();
                stream = makeUniqObjectNames(objectNameMap, stream);

                layoutPages.add(new LayoutPage(stream, res, objectNameMap));
            }
            else if( contents instanceof COSArray )
            {
                throw new UnsupportedOperationException("Layout pages with COSArray currently
not supported.");
                // layoutPages.add(new LayoutPage(contents, res));
            }
            else
            {
                throw new IOException( "Contents are unknown type:" + contents.getClass().getName()
);
            }
        }
    }

Below is the exception:

ava.lang.UnsupportedOperationException: Layout pages with COSArray currently not supported.

      at org.apache.pdfbox.Overlay.collectLayoutPages(Overlay.java:269)

      at org.apache.pdfbox.Overlay.overlay(Overlay.java:224)

      at com.thoughtcorp.annotation.AnnotatedFile.applyAnnotationsToPDF(AnnotatedFile.java:54)

      at com.thoughtcorp.services.SyncAnnotationsService.syncAnnotations(SyncAnnotationsService.java:26)

      at com.thoughtcorp.SyncRequestHandler.handle(SyncRequestHandler.java:60)

      at org.eclipse.jetty.server.handler.HandlerList.handle(HandlerList.java:47)

      at org.eclipse.jetty.server.handler.HandlerWrapper.handle(HandlerWrapper.java:110)

      at org.eclipse.jetty.server.HttpConnection.handleRequest(HttpConnection.java:589)

      at org.eclipse.jetty.server.HttpConnection$RequestHandler.content(HttpConnection.java:1065)

      at org.eclipse.jetty.http.HttpParser.parseNext(HttpParser.java:823)

      at org.eclipse.jetty.http.HttpParser.parseAvailable(HttpParser.java:220)

      at org.eclipse.jetty.server.HttpConnection.handle(HttpConnection.java:411)

      at org.eclipse.jetty.io.nio.SelectChannelEndPoint.handle(SelectChannelEndPoint.java:535)

      at org.eclipse.jetty.io.nio.SelectChannelEndPoint$1.run(SelectChannelEndPoint.java:40)

      at org.eclipse.jetty.util.thread.QueuedThreadPool$3.run(QueuedThreadPool.java:529)

      at java.lang.Thread.run(Thread.java:662)

Can you please ask the developer who worked on the code highlighted above was it not implemented
coz it required a lot of work or was it coz he thought the functionality would not be required
by many people? We were thinking if we could just implement LayoutPage.java to take in COSArray
and operate on it. Would it be too hard to implement to support our solution? Another approach
was to convert COSArray into COSStream so the code always catches if block.

We are currently trying to meet a deadline and this has become a road blocker for us. Any
help in this matter would be really appreciated!

Thanks,

Haris