pdfbox-users mailing list archives

From A...@swmc.com
Subject Re: Is there a difference between Watermark & Stamp ?
Date Thu, 16 Jun 2011 16:32:07 GMT
I downloaded your file and uncompressed it using pdftk.  After that I just
opened it with a text editor and looked for anything which might be
interesting.

I found that there's an element which mentions something about an image
and transparency.
2 0 obj
<<
        /Rotate 0
        /pdftk_PageNum 1
        /CropBox [0 0 612 792]
        /MediaBox [0 0 612 792]
        /Resources
        <<
                /ExtGState
                <<
                        /GS8 21 0 R
                        /GS5 22 0 R

                /Font
                <<
                        /F1 23 0 R

                /ProcSet [/PDF /Text /ImageB /ImageC /ImageI]

        /Parent 1 0 R
        /Contents [24 0 R 25 0 R 26 0 R 27 0 R 28 0 R 29 0 R 30 0 R 31 0
R]
        /StructParents 0
        /Type /Page
        /Group
        <<
                /CS /DeviceRGB
                /Type /Group
                /S /Transparency

        /Tabs /S

endobj

Tracing back, it turns out that this is the page element ("20 0" is the
root, "1 0" is the element which defines the pages, and "2 0" is page 1).
Now the /Contents of the page are what we're interested in, but
unfortunately they are all streams of data which means very little to me.
I'm not sure if these are object streams, but I'd imagine so because there
doesn't seem to be any indication of the type.  If you can find a way to
get these in a more human-readable format, you should be able to continue
reverse engineering the PDF to determine how the image is on there.  Once
you know that, you'll know exactly what you want to do.  Then it should
just be a matter of checking the PDF reference to fully understand what's
going on and what output you need from PDFBox.  It's important you get
comfortable with tracing through a PDF in a text editor; this is the only
way you'll be able to track down issues.

I usually just search the PDF source for the keyword that I'm looking for
when I'm looking for a new feature and then trace the code back to try to
understand how it is used and what the key classes are.  Once I know what
classes to use, I hit the documentation and search the Internet for
examples.  If that doesn't work, check the user mailing list and see if
anyone has any suggestions.  If not, check the dev mailing list to see if
the functionality currently exists and if not, if anyone has any
suggestions on where you should implement it.

----
Thanks,
Adam