pdfbox-users mailing list archives

From Daniel Sánchez González <dsanch...@gmail.com>
Subject Re: Text extraction results in strange characters
Date Thu, 23 Jun 2011 16:46:44 GMT
Thank you very much for your explanation. I'll try to convert pdf to image
and then to text via OCR. Which is the most accurate way to do this?

----- Original Message -----
From: <Adam@swmc.com>
To: <users@pdfbox.apache.org>
Cc: <users@pdfbox.apache.org>
Sent: Thursday, June 23, 2011 6:12 PM
Subject: Re: Text extraction results in strange characters

Dani,
The type of font being used is probably embedded and mapped to images of
the characters.  This works great for viewing the document, but if you
don't have characters (ASCII or Unicode), you're not going to get
reasonable results when copying and pasting.  If my theory is correct,
you'll find that you will also be unable to copy & paste using Adobe
Reader.  The only way to get the text out of a file like this would be to
convert it to an image, and then try to use ocr (optical character
recognition) to extract the text.  As you probably already know, OCR is
not 100% accurate, but it'd be better than nothing.

Developers,
I suggest we add this to the FAQ on the website.  I've seen it come up a
few times, and it's a very interesting explanation.

----
Thanks,
Adam