pdfbox-users mailing list archives

Site index · List index
Message view « Date » · « Thread »
Top « Date » · « Thread »
From "Hesham G." <heshamgne...@gmail.com>
Subject Re: Is there a difference between Watermark & Stamp ?
Date Thu, 16 Jun 2011 18:29:39 GMT
Thanks Adam and Andrey ... I will start reading that now.



Best regards ,
Hesham

---------------------------------------------
Included message :


> Reading the PDF spec (PDF 32000-1:2008) is how I learned.  I'd recommend
> starting with section 7.1 (which is only one page), and then going
> straight to section 7.7 (Document Structure) and referencing other
> sections as you go along.  Section 7.5 (File Structure) is also an
> interesting read.  For example 7.5.5 says "Conforming readers should read
> a PDF file from its end."  Once you know this, you can do the same thing
> that all PDF software does (or at least, what they should be doing).
>
> Hope this helps get you started.  Happy reading.
>
> ---- 
> Thanks,
> Adam
>
>
>
> From:
> "Hesham G." <heshamgneady@gmail.com>
> To:
> <users@pdfbox.apache.org>
> Date:
> 06/16/2011 11:09
> Subject:
> Re: Is there a difference between Watermark & Stamp ?
>
>
>
> Adam ,
>
> Thanks a lot for the nice tips.
>
> I really would like to start learning how to read PDF code to trace it. I
> have searched for any books or tutorials explaining that, but I couldn't
> find any.
>
>
> Best regards ,
> Hesham
>
> ---------------------------------------------
> Included message :
>
>
>> I downloaded your file and uncompressed it using pdftk.  After that I
> just
>> opened it with a text editor and looked for anything which might be
>> interesting.
>>
>> I found that there's an element which mentions something about an image
>> and transparency.
>> 2 0 obj
>> <<
>>        /Rotate 0
>>        /pdftk_PageNum 1
>>        /CropBox [0 0 612 792]
>>        /MediaBox [0 0 612 792]
>>        /Resources
>>        <<
>>                /ExtGState
>>                <<
>>                        /GS8 21 0 R
>>                        /GS5 22 0 R
>>                >>
>>                /Font
>>                <<
>>                        /F1 23 0 R
>>                >>
>>                /ProcSet [/PDF /Text /ImageB /ImageC /ImageI]
>>        >>
>>        /Parent 1 0 R
>>        /Contents [24 0 R 25 0 R 26 0 R 27 0 R 28 0 R 29 0 R 30 0 R 31 0
>> R]
>>        /StructParents 0
>>        /Type /Page
>>        /Group
>>        <<
>>                /CS /DeviceRGB
>>                /Type /Group
>>                /S /Transparency
>>        >>
>>        /Tabs /S
>>>>
>> endobj
>>
>> Tracing back, it turns out that this is the page element ("20 0" is the
>> root, "1 0" is the element which defines the pages, and "2 0" is page
> 1).
>> Now the /Contents of the page are what we're interested in, but
>> unfortunately they are all streams of data which means very little to
> me.
>> I'm not sure if these are object streams, but I'd imagine so because
> there
>> doesn't seem to be any indication of the type.  If you can find a way to
>> get these in a more human-readable format, you should be able to
> continue
>> reverse engineering the PDF to determine how the image is on there. Once
>> you know that, you'll know exactly what you want to do.  Then it should
>> just be a matter of checking the PDF reference to fully understand
> what's
>> going on and what output you need from PDFBox.  It's important you get
>> comfortable with tracing through a PDF in a text editor; this is the
> only
>> way you'll be able to track down issues.
>>
>> I usually just search the PDF source for the keyword that I'm looking
> for
>> when I'm looking for a new feature and then trace the code back to try
> to
>> understand how it is used and what the key classes are.  Once I know
> what
>> classes to use, I hit the documentation and search the Internet for
>> examples.  If that doesn't work, check the user mailing list and see if
>> anyone has any suggestions.  If not, check the dev mailing list to see
> if
>> the functionality currently exists and if not, if anyone has any
>> suggestions on where you should implement it.
>>
>> ---- 
>> Thanks,
>> Adam
>>
>>
>>
>>
>>
>> From:
>> "Hesham G." <heshamgneady@gmail.com>
>> To:
>> <users@pdfbox.apache.org>
>> Date:
>> 06/16/2011 07:34
>> Subject:
>> Re: Is there a difference between Watermark & Stamp ?
>>
>>
>>
>> Adam ,
>>
>> This post is old, but I am still facing problems using the watermark,
> and
>> I need it badly.
>>
>> I have created a Microsoft word doc file with a watermark and I saved it
>> as a PDF file, and it appears just as I want. Now I am looking for a way
>> for how to do this with PDFBox. You can check this 1 page sample PDF :
>> http://www.4shared.com/document/rQ2berMh/pdf_with_watermark.html
>>
>> Any help would be appreciated.
>>
>>
>> Best regards ,
>> Hesham
>>
>> ---------------------------------------------
>> Included message :
>>
>>> Sorry, but I can't give you any code examples for I have never done any
>>> work with stamps nor watermarks.  All I did was read the manual because
>>> when I saw your question I thought "Hmm, that's a good question!"
>>>
>>> What you describe sounds correct in terms of how it works, but it looks
>>> like there is also an option to have the watermark not appear at all on
>>> the PDF (when rendered on the screen), but appear when it is printed.
>> I'm
>>> not sure if that's something you are interested in, but it's an option
>> as
>>> far as I can tell.
>>>
>>> Your best bet would be to find a PDF with a watermark, then extract a
>>> single page.  This will give you a small PDF with a watermark and you
>>> should be able to go through it by hand (i.e. a good text editor). Just
>>
>>> search for "watermark" and see what comes up and then when you find
>>> something in the PDF, see what references it and check the spec to get
>>> some more information about what you're looking at.  For example, if
> you
>>
>>> see object "72 0" is a watermark, search for things which reference 72
>> 0.
>>> If you keep doing this you'll eventually get back to the root.  If you
>>> keep notes, you should have a nice map of how everything is connected.
>>> I've done this for other objects and in combination with the spec, it's
>>> worked out pretty well.  Remember, you can also make modifications to
>> the
>>> PDF using a text editor to see what it does (just remember to back up
>> the
>>> original before you go hacking up the PDF or you'll probably end up
> with
>> a
>>> corrupt document).
>>>
>>> ---- 
>>> Thanks,
>>> Adam
>>>
>>>
>>>
>>> From:
>>> "Hesham G." <heshamgneady@gmail.com>
>>> To:
>>> <users@pdfbox.apache.org>
>>> Date:
>>> 11/11/2010 03:15
>>> Subject:
>>> Re: Is there a difference between Watermark & Stamp ?
>>>
>>>
>>>
>>> Adam ,
>>>
>>> Thanks a lot for you reply, and sorry for being that late ... You're
>>> always
>>> here Adam when I need an answer.
>>>
>>> I have this in PDF reference 1.7, but I do not understand that Adobe
>> code
>>> :)
>>> If you can translate this to me or give me a PDFBox code example, that
>>> will
>>> be very helpful.
>>>
>>> In general, what I understand is that both watermarks and stamps both
>> can
>>> be
>>> images that appear in the PDF, but a watermark will appear in the
>>> background, so if there was a text above it, the text will appear
>>> normally.
>>> In addition a watermark will appear as a part of the page, so it can't
>> be
>>> clicked to show a notice box, as happens in a Stamp.
>>>
>>> If this is wrong I hope you can correct me. if it's right, then
>> watermarks
>>>
>>> is what I am looking for.
>>>
>>> Best regards ,
>>> Hesham
>>>
>>> ---------------------------------------------
>>> Included message :
>>>
>>>> Hesham,
>>>>
>>>> Take a look at table 102 in section 8.11.4.4 (Usage and Usage
>>> Application
>>>> Dictionaries) of the PDF spec (I'm looking at version 1.7).
>>>> "A dictionary specifying that the content in this group is shall be
>> used
>>>> when printing. It may contain the following optional entries:
>>>> Subtype A name object specifying the kind of content controlled by the
>>>> group; for example, Trapping, PrintersMarks and Watermark.
>>>> PrintState A name that shall be either ON or OFF, indicating that the
>>>> group shall be set to that state when the document is printed from a
>>>> conforming reader."
>>>>
>>>> For more information on the subtypes, see section 12.5.6.1, and
>>> 12.5.6.22
>>>> for specific details about a watermark.
>>>>
>>>> I didn't read all the sections I just references, but after a quick
>>> look,
>>>> it seems the main difference is that watermarks only appear on printed
>>>> documents, where images would appear when viewing the document as
> well.
>>>> PDFBox might already support watermarks, but if it doesn't it could
>>>> probably be added without too much difficulty.  Section 12.5.6.22 has
> a
>>>> nice example of how it's laid out in the PDF which you could
> reference.
>>>> You could also use that to either verify that your test document
>>> actually
>>>> has a real watermark, or to manually add a watermark to one of your
>> test
>>>> documents.
>>>>
>>>> ---- 
>>>> Thanks,
>>>> Adam
>>>>
>>>>
>>>> ----- Forwarded by Adam Nichols/UR/CER/XLDynamics on 11/09/2010 12:04
>>>> -----
>>>>
>>>> From:
>>>> Adam Nichols/UR/CER/XLDynamics
>>>> To:
>>>> users@pdfbox.apache.org
>>>> Cc:
>>>> "pdfbox-send-question" <users@pdfbox.apache.org>
>>>> Date:
>>>> 11/08/2010 09:13
>>>> Subject:
>>>> Re: Is there a difference between Watermark & Stamp ?
>>>>
>>>>
>>>> Take a look at table 102 in section 8.11.4.4 (Usage and Usage
>>> Application
>>>> Dictionaries) of the PDF spec (I'm looking at version 1.7).
>>>> "A dictionary specifying that the content in this group is shall be
>> used
>>>> when printing. It may contain the following optional entries:
>>>> Subtype A name object specifying the kind of content controlled by the
>>>> group; for example, Trapping, PrintersMarks and Watermark.
>>>> PrintState A name that shall be either ON or OFF, indicating that the
>>>> group shall be set to that state when the document is printed from a
>>>> conforming reader."
>>>>
>>>> For more information on the subtypes, see section 12.5.6.1, and
>>> 12.5.6.22
>>>> for specific details about a watermark.
>>>>
>>>> I didn't read all the sections I just references, but after a quick
>>> look,
>>>> it seems the main difference is that watermarks only appear on printed
>>>> documents, where images would appear when viewing the document as
> well.
>>>> PDFBox might already support watermarks, but if it doesn't it could
>>>> probably be added without too much difficulty.  Section 12.5.6.22 has
> a
>>>> nice example of how it's laid out in the PDF which you could
> reference.
>>>> You could also use that to either verify that your test document
>>> actually
>>>> has a real watermark, or to manually add a watermark to one of your
>> test
>>>> documents.
>>>>
>>>> ---- 
>>>> Thanks,
>>>> Adam
>>>>
>>>>
>>>>
>>>> From:
>>>> "Hesham G." <heshamgneady@gmail.com>
>>>> To:
>>>> "pdfbox-send-question" <users@pdfbox.apache.org>
>>>> Date:
>>>> 11/07/2010 00:53
>>>> Subject:
>>>> Is there a difference between Watermark & Stamp ?
>>>>
>>>>
>>>>
>>>> Hello everyone ,
>>>>
>>>> What is the difference between a watermark and a stamp in PDF ?
>>>> I have seen nice examples in PDFBox to create stamps, but none to
>> create
>>>> watermarks. I guess it is not supported yet !
>>>>
>>>>
>>>> Best regards ,
>>>> Hesham
>>>>
>>>>
>>>>
>>>>
>>>>
>>>> - FHA 203b; 203k; HECM; VA; USDA; Conventional
>>>> - Warehouse Lines; FHA-Authorized Originators
>>>> - Lending and Servicing in over 45 States
>>>> www.swmc.com   -  www.simplehecmcalculator.com
>>>> Visit  www.swmc.com/resources   for helpful links on Training,
>> Webinars,
>>>
>>>> Lender Alerts and Submitting Conditions
>>>>
>>>> This email and any content within or attached hereto from Sun West
>>>> Mortgage Company, Inc. is confidential and/or legally privileged. The
>>>> information is intended only for the use of the individual or entity
>>> named
>>>> on this email. If you are not the intended recipient, you are hereby
>>>> notified that any disclosure, copying, distribution or taking any
>> action
>>>
>>>> in reliance on the contents of this email information is strictly
>>>> prohibited, and that the documents should be returned to this office
>>>> immediately by email. Receipt by anyone other than the intended
>>> recipient
>>>> is not a waiver of any privilege. Please do not include your social
>>>> security number, account number, or any other personal or financial
>>>> information in the content of the email. Should you have any
> questions,
>>
>>>> please call (800) 453 7884.  =
>>>
>>>
>>>
>>>
>>>
>>>
>>> - FHA 203b; 203k; HECM; VA; USDA; Conventional
>>> - Warehouse Lines; FHA-Authorized Originators
>>> - Lending and Servicing in over 45 States
>>> www.swmc.com   -  www.simplehecmcalculator.com
>>> Visit  www.swmc.com/resources   for helpful links on Training,
> Webinars,
>> Lender Alerts and Submitting Conditions
>>>
>>> This email and any content within or attached hereto from Sun West
>> Mortgage Company, Inc. is confidential and/or legally privileged. The
>> information is intended only for the use of the individual or entity
> named
>> on this email. If you are not the intended recipient, you are hereby
>> notified that any disclosure, copying, distribution or taking any action
>> in reliance on the contents of this email information is strictly
>> prohibited, and that the documents should be returned to this office
>> immediately by email. Receipt by anyone other than the intended
> recipient
>> is not a waiver of any privilege. Please do not include your social
>> security number, account number, or any other personal or financial
>> information in the content of the email. Should you have any questions,
>> please call (800) 453 7884.  =
>>
>>
>> - FHA 203b; 203k; HECM; VA; USDA; Conventional
>> - Warehouse Lines; FHA-Authorized Originators
>> - Lending and Servicing in over 45 States
>> www.swmc.com   -  www.simplehecmcalculator.com   Visit
>> www.swmc.com/resources   for helpful links on Training, Webinars, Lender
>
>> Alerts and Submitting Conditions
>> This email and any content within or attached hereto from Sun West
>> Mortgage Company, Inc. is confidential and/or legally privileged. The
>> information is intended only for the use of the individual or entity
> named
>> on this email. If you are not the intended recipient, you are hereby
>> notified that any disclosure, copying, distribution or taking any action
>
>> in reliance on the contents of this email information is strictly
>> prohibited, and that the documents should be returned to this office
>> immediately by email. Receipt by anyone other than the intended
> recipient
>> is not a waiver of any privilege. Please do not include your social
>> security number, account number, or any other personal or financial
>> information in the content of the email. Should you have any questions,
>> please call (800) 453 7884.
>
>
>
>
> - FHA 203b; 203k; HECM; VA; USDA; Conventional
> - Warehouse Lines; FHA-Authorized Originators
> - Lending and Servicing in over 45 States
> www.swmc.com   -  www.simplehecmcalculator.com   Visit 
> www.swmc.com/resources   for helpful links on Training, Webinars, Lender 
> Alerts and Submitting Conditions
> This email and any content within or attached hereto from Sun West 
> Mortgage Company, Inc. is confidential and/or legally privileged. The 
> information is intended only for the use of the individual or entity named 
> on this email. If you are not the intended recipient, you are hereby 
> notified that any disclosure, copying, distribution or taking any action 
> in reliance on the contents of this email information is strictly 
> prohibited, and that the documents should be returned to this office 
> immediately by email. Receipt by anyone other than the intended recipient 
> is not a waiver of any privilege. Please do not include your social 
> security number, account number, or any other personal or financial 
> information in the content of the email. Should you have any questions, 
> please call (800) 453 7884. 


Mime
View raw message