pdfbox-users mailing list archives

From A...@swmc.com
Subject Fw: Is there a difference between Watermark & Stamp ?
Date Tue, 09 Nov 2010 20:04:23 GMT
Hesham,

Take a look at table 102 in section 8.11.4.4 (Usage and Usage Application
Dictionaries) of the PDF spec (I'm looking at version 1.7).
"A dictionary specifying that the content in this group is shall be used
when printing. It may contain the following optional entries:
Subtype A name object specifying the kind of content controlled by the
group; for example, Trapping, PrintersMarks and Watermark.
PrintState A name that shall be either ON or OFF, indicating that the
group shall be set to that state when the document is printed from a
conforming reader."

For more information on the subtypes, see section 12.5.6.1, and 12.5.6.22
for specific details about a watermark.

I didn't read all the sections I just references, but after a quick look,
it seems the main difference is that watermarks only appear on printed
documents, where images would appear when viewing the document as well.
PDFBox might already support watermarks, but if it doesn't it could
probably be added without too much difficulty.  Section 12.5.6.22 has a
nice example of how it's laid out in the PDF which you could reference.
You could also use that to either verify that your test document actually
has a real watermark, or to manually add a watermark to one of your test
documents.

----
Thanks,
Adam

----- Forwarded by Adam Nichols/UR/CER/XLDynamics on 11/09/2010 12:04
-----

Re: Is there a difference between Watermark & Stamp ?