pdfbox-users mailing list archives

From A...@swmc.com
Subject Re: Edit existing PDF
Date Fri, 12 Nov 2010 17:36:44 GMT
I just found this article[1] which may help you.

[1]
http://www.smallpawn.com/blog1.php/2010/09/14/insert-text-into-a-pdf-using-java-and-pdfbox

----
Thanks,
Adam

From:
"T. Groch" <t.groch@gmail.com>
To:
users@pdfbox.apache.org
Date:
11/12/2010 03:13
Re: Edit existing PDF

Hi,

since there was no other option, I just splitted the three-paged-PDF file
and made an overlay to the first page. Afterwards, I merged the PDF again.
So, this is not really clean, but it works.
If anyone has a better idea, please let me know.
Thanks in advance.

Best regards,

Tobias

2010/11/10 T. Groch <t.groch@gmail.com>

> [...]
>
> thanks, the tip with try-catch-finally makes sense. My code is just one
of
> some tries without being clean ;)
> I hope someone else has got another idea.
>
> Originally I tried PDFBox since I wanted to overlay two PDF files. This
> works well (generating one with the string and overlaying it to another
> one).
> But that just works with a single paged file. I got exceptions if I try
> overlay two three-page-PDF files (since I don't want the string on every
> page).
>
> Hopefully no one will be upset if I just ask if there's another
framework
> to get a string inside an already existing PDF?!
>
> Thanks in advance.
>
> Best regards,
>
> Tobias
>

> 2010/11/10 <Adam@swmc.com>
>
>> The code you have is replacing the old content stream with the new
>> PDPageContentStream.  So what you describe is exactly what I'd expect.
>> don't know how to accomplish what you're trying to do though.
>>
>> On a side note, make sure you always call PDDocument.load() in a try
block
>> and have doc.close() in the finally block.  This will make sure your
>> documents are always closed properly.
>>
>> ----
>> Thanks,
>> Adam
>>

>> From:
>> "T. Groch" <t.groch@gmail.com>
>> To:
>> users@pdfbox.apache.org
>> Date:
>> 11/10/2010 09:49
>> Re: Edit existing PDF
>>

>> Hi Adam,
>>
>> thank you for that tip. In the meantime I managed to get that List of
>> PDPages, too. But when I change a PDPage it will be empty (except the
text
>> put in it).
>>
>> Code:
>> PDDocument doc = PDDocument.load(fileFoo);
>> PDDocumentCatalog cat = doc.getDocumentCatalog();
>> List list = cat.getAllPages();
>> PDPage page = (PDPage) list.get(0);
>> PDFont font = PDType1Font.HELVETICA_BOLD;
>> PDPageContentStream cs = new PDPageContentStream(doc, page);
>> cs.beginText();
>> cs.setFont(font, 10);
>> cs.moveTextPositionByAmount(100, 761);
>> cs.drawString("Hans Wurst");
>> cs.endText();
>> cs.close();
>> doc.save("c:\\foo.pdf");
>>
>> So, I have the String "Hans Wurst" on the first page, but the original
>> content is gone. It's just a blank page with the string.
>> Thanks in advance.
>>
>> Best regards,
>>
>> Tobias
>>
>> 2010/11/10 <Adam@swmc.com>
>>
>> > Getting the PDPage from a file is easy.  Check this out:
>> >
>> > PDDocument source = null;
>> > try {
>> >        source = PDDocument.load("/home/user/adobe1.7spec.pdf");
source.getDocumentCatalog().getAllPages();