pdfbox-users mailing list archives

From A...@swmc.com
Subject Re: Is there a difference between Watermark & Stamp ?
Date Thu, 11 Nov 2010 17:53:34 GMT
Sorry, but I can't give you any code examples for I have never done any
work with stamps nor watermarks.  All I did was read the manual because
when I saw your question I thought "Hmm, that's a good question!"

What you describe sounds correct in terms of how it works, but it looks
like there is also an option to have the watermark not appear at all on
the PDF (when rendered on the screen), but appear when it is printed.  I'm
not sure if that's something you are interested in, but it's an option as
far as I can tell.

Your best bet would be to find a PDF with a watermark, then extract a
single page.  This will give you a small PDF with a watermark and you
should be able to go through it by hand (i.e. a good text editor).  Just
search for "watermark" and see what comes up and then when you find
something in the PDF, see what references it and check the spec to get
some more information about what you're looking at.  For example, if you
see object "72 0" is a watermark, search for things which reference 72 0.
If you keep doing this you'll eventually get back to the root.  If you
keep notes, you should have a nice map of how everything is connected.
I've done this for other objects and in combination with the spec, it's
worked out pretty well.  Remember, you can also make modifications to the
PDF using a text editor to see what it does (just remember to back up the
original before you go hacking up the PDF or you'll probably end up with a
corrupt document).

----
Thanks,
Adam