pdfbox-users mailing list archives

From Kevin Brown <kb1...@gmail.com>
Subject Re: editing, moving comments and bookmarks?
Date Thu, 18 Nov 2010 18:42:57 GMT
On Thu, Nov 18, 2010 at 1:01 PM, <Adam@swmc.com> wrote:

> First, let me make sure I understand your goals correctly.  You have PDF 1
> which has annotations and you want to make a copy all the annotations over
> to PDF 2.  If we can't figure that out, then the next best thing would be
> to make bookmarks with named destinations with the text from the
> annotation and have them point to the exact location where the annotation
> was located.  Sound about right?

No, we need the comments to stay comments.

> Well, I've never done anything with annotations, but assuming you can
> iterate over them and get the text and location, it should be pretty
> simple to build a document outline.  Hesham had a few nice posts on named
> destinations which included some sample code.  Here's an example:
> http://markmail.org/message/nbml3fzsdjn5kvbh (or just search the mailing
> lists for "named destinations").  I haven't done any named destinations
> with PDFBox, but I read up on ISO32000 to help Hesham, so I'm pretty good
> at looking at the raw data with a text editor and tracing through to see
> how everything is laid out and why it is or is not working.

Cool, thanks a lot for your thoughts! I've actually contributed to the
discussion on named destinations as I've used pdfbox to manipulate them
(though I was never able to rename them without problems). I'll definitely
give the annotations a whirl in pdfbox.

Kevin