pdfbox-users mailing list archives

From Ken Bowen <kbo...@als.com>
Subject Re: Digital signature with PDFBox?
Date Fri, 26 Nov 2010 14:04:08 GMT
Thomas,

Re:  The real signing implementation is closed source, but if i got some time, i can explane
how it work with BouncyCastle for simple signatures.

If you have the time, I would very much appreciate this.  I'm working with a partner on a
startup where digital signatures would be an add-on to the core functionality -- but a very
desirable add-on.  We've looked at the commercial services available in the U.S. (e.g. DocuSign)
and have talked to them, but we haven't made any plans yet about what we will do.  We're experienced
programmers, and we've built our core functionality using PDFBox.  But we're really just learning
about digital signatures, so any help you can give us to understand what is needed would great!
   Needless to say, we hope there is something we can do to help you in return.

Regards,
Ken

On Nov 26, 2010, at 8:48 AM, Thomas Chojecki wrote:

> Hi Ken,
> there is no specification. Just one interface with this one method that shall be implemented.
The whole logic behind this method and the class which implement it, lays on the user side.
The user has the freedom to use his own crypto library for signing.

> I just wrote an incremental update, wrote some new classes and made additional implementations
for existing classes like PDSignature.

> The real signing implementation is closed source, but if i got some time, i can explane
how it work with BouncyCastle for simple signatures.

> So if this code will be published soon, the user can't sign without a working implementation.
But it's not so hard to create cms signatures with e.g. BouncyCastle.

> Best regards,
> Thomas
>
> Zitat von Ken Bowen <kbowen@als.com>:
>
>> Thomas,
>>
>> I can see you don't have much time for it right now.
>> I'll be interested when you do get a chance.
>> Did you have a public design specification for your implementation of signatures
or did you develop the specification yourselves?

>> Regards,
>> Ken
>>
>> On Nov 26, 2010, at 2:50 AM, Thomas Chojecki wrote:
>>

>>> Zitat von Ken Bowen <kbowen@als.com>:
>>>
>>> Hi Ken,
>>>
>>> we use in our company for 3 month an own implementation for signatures. For pdfbox
it's just an additional interface. This interface provide one methode "public byte[] sign(InputStream)"
which need to be implemented and pass to pdfbox.

>>> My problem is, i haven't so much time to split my implementation in piecec and
public it over jira. An other problem is, that this code base on the pdf box 1.2 and i need
to merg it with the head of the repository. The third is, i have a colloquium next weeks and
don't want to change or update this implementation.