pdfbox-users mailing list archives

From Martin Gerner <martin.ger...@postgrad.manchester.ac.uk>
Subject PDFBox library dependencies
Date Tue, 13 Apr 2010 11:06:39 GMT
Hi all,

I'd like some help with figuring out exactly what libraries PDFBox
relies on, and how to get them.

In order to test my download of pdfbox-1.1.0.jar, I ran the following
command: "java -cp pdfbox-1.1.0.jar org.apache.pdfbox.ExtractText
sample.pdf article.txt".
This produced the following exception: "Exception in thread "main"
java.lang.NoClassDefFoundError: org/apache/commons/logging/LogFactory".
Sure enough, after looking in the source tree I can see that there is no
such class in there.

I searched around on the PDFBox page for a list of required libraries
and how to get them, but to no success - there's certainly no
information on the download page.

With the help of Google I found this page:
http://pdfbox.apache.org/userguide/redistribution.html which lists a
number of required libraries. Unfortunately, none of them seem to fit
the Apache commons description that the exception gave me (additionally,
whoever thought of only linking to the library licenses but not to where
you can actually download the libraries? Somebody visiting the site will
undoubtedly have much more use of links to download pages).

After Googling a bit more, I found this page:
http://pdfbox.apache.org/dependencies.html which says that there are no
dependencies at all. This conflicts with both my own experience (getting
an exception due to missing files in the jar library) and the
redistribution page linked above.

Am I doing something very wrong? This is really quite frustrating,
forcing me to instead turn to alternative PDF libraries.

Best wishes,
Martin Gerner

--
Martin Gerner