pdfbox-users mailing list archives

From Andreas Lehmkühler <andr...@lehmi.de>
Subject Re: PDFBox PageDrawer.
Date Thu, 03 Dec 2009 19:21:52 GMT
Hi,

Jeremy Ashkenas wrote:
> Hi Andreas.
>
> I'm working on a little Ruby wrapper gem for PDFBox that gives it a
> pleasant command-line client, as well as a Ruby API. I'm hoping to
> release the project in a couple of days, with support for extracting
> individual pages, page images, document metadata, and full text.
>
> I was a bit disturbed to see that the image quality of PDF rendering
> that the PageDrawer provides. I've attached two images, one with the
> page rendered by PDFBox, and the other with the page rendered by
> GraphicsMagick. Can you tell me a little bit more about what's going on
> with the rendering in the PDFBox version, and why it's not using the
> right font or letter-spacing...
PDFBox doesn't support every part of the pdf-specification, so that some pdfs
are looking better, others are somehow scrambled. It depends on the used fonts,
encoding, pdf-creator etc.
In your case I guess that the used font isn't well supported by PDFBox, so that
the default font will be used instead. That leads to an other rendering than
expected.

> Any light you can shed would be most helpful, or any pointers on how to
> correct the problem.
We are on it, but as we are all volunteers, it will took more or less time.

> Best wishes,
> -- Jeremy Ashkenas
Please use our mailinglist [1] for further questions. I've cc'd my answer to the
users list.

BR
Andreas Lehmkühler