pdfbox-users mailing list archives

From Jeremias Maerki <...@jeremias-maerki.ch>
Subject Re: Extract vectors
Date Tue, 03 Feb 2009 16:23:18 GMT
On 03.02.2009 17:07:29 Graeme Kidd wrote:

> Thanks for the suggestion,
> I am a total beginner at this so any helpful advice is greatly appreaceated.
>
> I suppose I could use something like this http://www.jibble.org/epsgraphics/ to save
it as an EPS file.

FYI: there's also an EPSDocumentGraphics2D in Apache XML Graphics
Commons [1], i.e. as open source under the same license as PDFBox.

[1] http://xmlgraphics.apache.org/commons/

> The only problem I have so far is how to detect if the image is a
> vector graphic in which case I can draw it then save it. Otherwise at the
> moment I will just be saving the entire page as an EPS file.

Usually you can't identify an isolated vector image inside a PDF as it
may be interleaved with normal text. Only if the images are embedded as
Form XObjects can you isolate them reliably. Or if the PDF is tagged but
PDFBox can't you help in that case, yet. Even if you can isolate it,
PDFBox will need to be able to paint just the selected part of a page.

> Thanks again for your help so far.

> > Date: Tue, 3 Feb 2009 09:04:33 -0500
> > Subject: Re: Extract vectors
> > From: williamstonconsulting@gmail.com
> > To: pdfbox-users@incubator.apache.org; coolkidd3@hotmail.com
> >
> > You can extend the PageDrawer class and have it do something other than
> > actually drawing ...
> >
> > I've extended it to draw a little differently and in .Net ... it's not a
> > small undertaking, but is possible.
> >
> > On 2/3/09, Graeme Kidd wrote:
> >>

> >> Hi,
> >>
> >> I was just wondering if I could use PDFBox to extract vecor graphics?
> >>
> >> Thanks.

Jeremias Maerki