pdfbox-users mailing list archives

From Jeremias Maerki <...@jeremias-maerki.ch>
Subject Re: PDF headers/footers?
Date Fri, 25 Jul 2008 15:08:08 GMT
Well, the painting part of PDF really doesn't have a concept of headers
and footers. There's just text and graphics. Only with tagged PDF
there's some additional information identifying a part of the document
to be part of a header or footer. But I don't think that PDFBox can use
that information, yet. And your PDF would have to be tagged in the first
place.

What I've seen in PDFBox is text extraction by area. If you know where
your header and footer is on the page you can give PDFTextStripperByArea
an area to restrict the search to. There's sample code:
ExtractTextByArea in the PDFBox dist.

Disclaimer: I've never tried this before so it might now work.

HTH

On 25.07.2008 16:42:02 Dmitry Goldenberg wrote:
> That's kind of what I suspected.  Although, in Acrobat, you can do
> Document->Add header and footer and it really does allow you to add 3
> header values (left, center, right) and 3 footer values (left, center,
> right).  I suspect they all get treated as text internally.  Or maybe
> not? ...

Jeremias Maerki