pdfbox-dev mailing list archives

From Tilman Hausherr <THaush...@t-online.de>
Subject Re: Rendering images from PDF files slower in OpenJDK
Date Wed, 03 Oct 2018 18:08:31 GMT
I'm confused by
http://mail.openjdk.java.net/pipermail/2d-dev/2018-October/009490.html

looking at the two graphics, in
http://cr.openjdk.java.net/~lbourges/pdfbox_profiles/jdk8_Call_Tree.html
the problem is that
"org.apache.pdfbox.pdmodel.graphics.color.PDDeviceCMYK.toRGBImage"
hasn't been expanded, maybe because it is so fast. I'd expect to see
ColorConvertOpĀ  there too. (I tried with jdk8 and it is there).

In the other graphic it was expanded and it is slow... for me the
culprit is (once again) ColorConvertOp and LCMS. It thought they had
fixed LCMS... it got much faster since 1.8.181.

Maybe the tool that creates these graphics expands only the slow parts,
to show devs "where it hurts".

SampledImageReader doesn't do anything OS dependent. I don't see why
there would be a "different path".

In
http://mail.openjdk.java.net/pipermail/2d-dev/2018-October/009498.html
there is a java program that does benchmarking (but with an blank
image!!!!!). Could you run this on your system?

I could expand that one later so that it uses the raster of the actual
JPEG image from your PDF.

Tilman