pdfbox-dev mailing list archives

Site index · List index
Message view « Date » · « Thread »
Top « Date » · « Thread »
From "Antti Lankila (JIRA)" <j...@apache.org>
Subject [jira] [Commented] (PDFBOX-922) True type PDFont subclass only supports WinAnsiEncoding (hardcoded!)
Date Fri, 13 Jun 2014 07:44:02 GMT

    [ https://issues.apache.org/jira/browse/PDFBOX-922?page=com.atlassian.jira.plugin.system.issuetabpanels:comment-tabpanel&focusedCommentId=14030350#comment-14030350
] 

Antti Lankila commented on PDFBOX-922:
--------------------------------------

I do not really understand what makes you say that. Isn't subsetted font basically just a
wholly different font file, just having a bunch of glyphs removed from the original one? For
instance, assuming it is a TTF file, you drop bunch of glyphs and then update the cmaps to
reference the appropriate glyph indexes, and then you have a new TTF file. If so, I can't
see the problem because you are providing all the same information as with the original font,
only with less glyphs included.

On the other hand, I do understand that if you write the text stream using encoding of one
font, then change the definition of the TTF font without re-encoding the text, then you definitely
run into problems. But the only possible way to keep CID stable is to define a standard for
them, such as that CIDs are UCS-2. This can be done, but as far as I can tell this limits
code points to the less than 0x10000 range because CID font writing writes 16 bit character
indexes by definition, and there is no notion of the surrogate pairs of UTF-16. It might not
be a real problem in practice, but it's nevertheless a limitation that the identity mapping
for glyph indexes does not have. The only limitation of the latter approach is that single
font can't have more than 65536 glyphs.

BTW, I've been quiet on this front because I solved my immediate problem by switching to a
PDF rendering library called jPod. It's not so advanced as pdfbox, and it didn't support unicode
text either, but it was possible to get CID keyed fonts to work on it without touching the
library itself, just through providing appropriate COS objects and setting up an encoding
based on the font's Windows Unicode cmap. I even managed to set up a working copypaste by
providing the ToUnicode postscript program, so I got everything working nicely using that
2008-era library, but I had to write most of the PDF object factories myself.

> True type PDFont subclass only supports WinAnsiEncoding (hardcoded!)
> --------------------------------------------------------------------
>
>                 Key: PDFBOX-922
>                 URL: https://issues.apache.org/jira/browse/PDFBOX-922
>             Project: PDFBox
>          Issue Type: New Feature
>          Components: Writing
>    Affects Versions: 1.3.1
>         Environment: JDK 1.6 / OS irrelevant, tried against 1.3.1 and 1.2.0
>            Reporter: Thanos Agelatos
>            Assignee: Andreas Lehmkühler
>         Attachments: pdfbox-unicode.diff, pdfbox-unicode2.diff
>
>
> PDFBox cannot embed Identity-H or Identity-V type TTF fonts in the PDF it creates, making
it impossible to create PDFs in any language apart from English and ones supported in WinAnsiEncoding.
This behaviour is caused because method PDTrueTypeFont.loadTTF has hardcoded WinAnsiEncoding
inside, and there is no Identity-H or Identity-V Encoding classes provided (to set afterwards
via PDFont.setFont() )
> This excludes the following languages plus many others:
> - Greek
> - Bulgarian
> - Swedish
> - Baltic languages
> - Malteze 
> The PDF created contains garbled characters and/or squares.
> Simple test case:
>                 PDDocument doc = null;
> 		try {
> 			doc = new PDDocument();
> 			PDPage page = new PDPage();
> 			doc.addPage(page);
> 			// extract fonts for fields
> 			byte[] arialNorm = extractFont("arial.ttf");
> 			//byte[] arialBold = extractFont("arialbd.ttf"); 
> 			//PDFont font = PDType1Font.HELVETICA;
> 			PDFont font = PDTrueTypeFont.loadTTF(doc, new ByteArrayInputStream(arialNorm));
> 			
> 			PDPageContentStream contentStream = new PDPageContentStream(doc, page);
> 			contentStream.beginText();
> 			contentStream.setFont(font, 12);
> 			contentStream.moveTextPositionByAmount(100, 700);
> 			contentStream.drawString("Hello world from PDFBox ελληνικά"); // text here
may appear garbled; insert any text in Greek or Bulgarian or Malteze
> 			contentStream.endText();
> 			contentStream.close();
> 			doc.save("pdfbox.pdf");
> 			System.out.println(" created!");
> 		} catch (Exception ioe) {
> 			ioe.printStackTrace();
> 		} finally {
> 			if (doc != null) {
> 				try { doc.close(); } catch (Exception e) {}
> 			}
> 		}



--
This message was sent by Atlassian JIRA
(v6.2#6252)

Mime
View raw message