pdfbox-dev mailing list archives

From Maruan Sahyoun <sahy...@fileaffairs.de>
Subject Re: Idea: stable 2.0 versions
Date Sun, 01 Jun 2014 13:46:55 GMT
Hi

Am 01.06.2014 um 15:03 schrieb Andreas Lehmkuehler <andreas@lehmi.de>:

> Hi,
>
> Am 30.05.2014 23:13, schrieb John Hewson:
>> I think the risk of creating the impression that 2.0 is stable is too high. The real
problem
>> is that 2.0 has been too long in development, there were frustrated users asking
a year
>> ago about when it would be released.
> The biggest issue is, that we can't name a version stable without an official release.
>
>> Perhaps it’s time to push for a release of 2.0 and aim for a more frequent release
cycle
>> after that, to avoid repeating the situation where the stable and trunk versions
are
>> years apart?
> +1, it's time to go for release, not tomorrow or next week, but we should start to do
some planning.

>> What is holding back 2.0? What features are we *really* holding out on? Can we put
>> together a roadmap - our users often ask for one...
> I already had a starting discussion with Maruan two weeks ago at a f2f meeting.
>
> I'd like to add those changes which include api changes so what we haven't to wait until
the next major release, at least those changes which are not that big, such as

> - solving the jempbox/xmpbox issue

could handle that

> - update bouncy castle
> - split the pdfbox module in at least 2 modules (core and rendering)

would break into pdfbox-core (parsing and COS), pdfbox-pd (PD model) and pdfbox-rendering.

> There are some changes/improvements/bugfixes I'd like to solve as well:
>
> - PDFBOX-922: unicode support

one of the most important missing basic features affecting forms handling, updating a pdf
with non ISO chars …..

> - PDFBOX-62: almost done
> - improve the parser concerning broken XRef-tables
> - complete the recent font-improvements
>
> There some other more or less easy to solve candidates
>
> - enhance type safety
> - remove dependencies
> - ....
>
> There are some other things on our ideas list which should be postponed
>
> - enhanced parser (could maybe done without big refactorings, so that we don't have to
wait until the next major release)

+1 to postpone it (haven’t go any feedback on the lexer yet). At least it could be done
wo affecting the PD model.

> - refactoring of COS-level object

+1 to postpone it as this should be done together with the parsing

> - ....
>
> There is one important thing we have to do before releasing 2.0, an upgrade guide including
updated docs.

could handle that. Would need some input about major changes as a starting point as I din’t
follow all breaking changes.

> We should contact press@ in preparation of the release to phrase a press release.
>

> IMHO, it could be realisitc to do a release in the summer, maybe in august.
>
>> — John

WRT a roadmap I’d think it would be very good to come up with one but that would mean to
agree on a set of features/changes upfront for a specific release. Don’t know if that is
doable. E.g. a lot of the new/improved functionality is around rendering which is a very important
functionality as this is a very common use case. On the other hand that hasn’t been on the
ideas page.

> BR
> Andreas Lehmkühler
>>
>> On 30 May 2014, at 14:01, Tilman Hausherr <THausherr@t-online.de> wrote:
>>
>>> I suggest that we come up with a concept of designating "stable versions" (or
"tested versions") for the trunk and put them on the homepage. A stable version is one with
no or only minor regressions, and/or a version that committers have found to be "good". This
would be for users of the 2.0 version who don't want to read every discussion, and also as
a hint for unhappy 1.8 users.

>>> I suspect that other open source projects do also have rules to designate stable
versions, but I didn't look at them.