pdfbox-dev mailing list archives

From Andreas Lehmkuehler <andr...@lehmi.de>
Subject Re: Preflight and the 1.7 release
Date Tue, 22 May 2012 16:56:31 GMT
Hi,

Am 21.05.2012 20:38, schrieb Leleu Eric:
> Hi,
>
> I discussed with Guillaume about the Preflight refactoring and we have some
> questions about le preflight module and the next release.
Hmmm, last minute timing .... I planned to cut the release now.

> The "new" preflight implementation will be more flexible and configurable.
> But it  will  have significant impact on the current implementation. (New
> interface, new way to load/validate the pdf...)
>
> Due to the 1.7 release that is coming soon, we would like to know how we
> should commit the preflight modifications without "breaking" the 1.7
> release.
>
> Here is 3 possibilities :
>
> 1 - Exclude the preflight module from the release and work with the current
> code without compatibility with the old version.
Any suggestions how to do that easily?

> 2 - Include the preflight module in the 1.7 release, the new implementation
> will be create in new packages. They will have no more modifications of the
> old implementation that will be marked as deprecated. Expect bug fix
> nothing will be done on old version, only new implementation will be
> improved (new configuration capabilities, new validation format...). Old
> version will be definitely removed in a further release (1.8 or 2.0 ?)
>
> 3 - Include the preflight module unchanged and release it. The new
> validation tool will be done in a new module (Present only in the 2.0
> branch ?). They will have no more modifications of the old module that will
> be marked as deprecated. Expect bug fix nothing will be done on old
> version. Only new module will evolve (new configuration capabilities, new
> validation format...).
I don't like the idea of releasing code for the first time which is already
meant to be dead.

> What is your opinion about that ?
IMHO, as there wasn't any Apache release of preflight the cleanest way would be
to replace the "old" implementation using the "new" one. But there are some
questions:

- Is the "new" implementation completed? If not, when do you expect to be ready?
- Is the "new" implementation a full replacement of the old one?

Depending on your answers and other opinions we might postpone the release for a
couple of weeks.

> If you have any questions, do not hesitate.
Don't hesitate to answer fast ;-)

> BR,
>
> Eric

BR