pdfbox-dev mailing list archives

From Jeremias Maerki <...@jeremias-maerki.ch>
Subject Re: [VOTE] Accept the PaDaF contribution (PDFBOX-1056)
Date Wed, 13 Jul 2011 22:11:14 GMT
> [X] +1 Accept the PaDaF contribution and grant committer and PMC member status
> to the above people, assuming the IP clearance passes

I've taken a short look at the code and took it for a test run. I've had
the usual problems with the build (Maven hates me, I hate Maven) but
eventually managed to compile it (after removing the instructions for
javac forking and the javac path, and finally excluding the isartor
dependency).

The code seems quite clean and well-structured. There are some
style-inconsistencies (tabs vs. spaces, spacing), but I guess PDFBox
itself is not much better in some places. I'll need to volunteer to fix
the tabs at some point. :-)

I ran a couple of supposedly PDF/A-1b files produced by Apache FOP and
got a couple of errors. The error messages are sometimes not very
helpful. Context is lost in some places (like the name of the font that
is complained about), or exception information is lost by only
propagating the exception message but not the actual cause. But that's
obviously nothing standing in the way of the adoption and can be
addressed later. It's just some feedback from the first test run.

Hopefully, I can allocate some time to create a PDF/A-1b test suite for
Apache FOP to check the PDF/A-1b conformance. I think both FOP and
PDFBox will profit from that.

Finally, thanks a lot to Guillaume, Eric and Germain for this
contribution to Apache PDFBox and for putting up with the processes here
at the ASF!

PS: personally, I'm a bit dismayed that we now have at least three XMP
libraries under the Apache umbrella. Each has its particular focus and
approach. I wonder if at least JempBox and XMPBox could somehow converge
at some point. When I wrote the XMP part of Apache XML Graphics Commons,
PDFBox was not yet at Apache and I was not happy with JempBox with how
it does things. My focus was to be very forgiving when parsing XMP and
therefore didn't want to operate on a DOM. OTOH, XMPBox has to be rather
strict for validation.

On 13.07.2011 21:31:40 Andreas Lehmkuehler wrote:
> Hi,
>
> The contributed PaDaF codebase is now available for review in PDFBOX-1056 [1]
> and the relevant IP clearance process has been started. As discussed, I propose
> that we accept this codebase and invite the PaDaF developers listed below as new
> committers and PMC members of the PDFBox project.
>
> 	Guillaume Bailleul
> 	Eric Leleu
> 	Germain Costenobel
>
> So, please vote on accepting the PaDaF contribution and granting committer and
> PMC member status to the people listed above, on the condition that the IP
> clearance passes without problems. This vote is open for the next 72 hours.
>
> [ ] +1 Accept the PaDaF contribution and grant committer and PMC member status
> to the above people, assuming the IP clearance passes
>
> [ ] -1 Don't accept the codebase and/or grant committership, because...
>
> My vote is +1.
>

> BR
> Andreas Lehmkühler
>
> [1] https://issues.apache.org/jira/browse/PDFBOX-1056