orc-dev mailing list archives

From Dain Sundstrom <d...@iq80.com>
Subject Re: Pluggable index for ORC
Date Fri, 07 Jun 2019 07:21:46 GMT
It would be nice if the there were some reserved space in the enums for experimentations like
this.

-dain

----
Dain Sundstrom
Co-founder @ Presto Software Foundation, Co-creator of Presto (https://prestosql.io)

> On Jun 6, 2019, at 4:14 AM, Praveen Krishna <praveenkrishna@tutanota.com> wrote:
>
> Hi all,
>
>        Can we have a custom stream (custom StreamKind Enum) that might hold a some index
for a some columns. We are trying to index a Varchar column in an ORC file using Lucene and
store the index as a part of that Varchar column. For a VARCHAR column we have currently three
streams
> 1. Present stream
> 2. Data stream
> 3. Length stream
>
>       It would be better if we could have an Index stream or a StreamKind which would
represent a index chunk so that in future index for some columns can be computed and stored
as a part of that column.