orc-dev mailing list archives

From Xiening Dai <xndai....@live.com>
Subject Re: C++ API seekToRow() performance.
Date Fri, 31 May 2019 23:33:29 GMT
Hi Shankar,

This is a known issue. As far as I know, there are two issues here -

1. The reader doesn’t use row group index to skip unnecessary rows. Instead it read through
every row until the cursor moves to the desired position. [1]
2. We could have skip the entire compression block when current offset + decompressed size
<= desired offset. But we are currently not doing that. [2]

These issues can be fixed. Feel free to open a JIRA.

There’s one more thing we could discuss here. Currently the compression block and RLE run
can span across two row groups, which means even for seeking to the beginning of a row group,
it will possibly require decompression and decoding. This might not be desirable in cases
where latency is sensitive. In our setup, we modify the writer to close the RLE runs and compression
blocks at the end of each row group. So seeking to a row group doesn’t require any decompression.
The difference in terms of storage efficiency is barely noticeable (< 1%). I would suggest
we make this change into Orc v2. The other benefit is we could greatly simply current row
position index design.

[1] https://github.com/apache/orc/blob/bfd63b8e4df35472d8d9d89c328c5b74b7af6e1a/c%2B%2B/src/Reader.cc#L294<https://github.com/apache/orc/blob/bfd63b8e4df35472d8d9d89c328c5b74b7af6e1a/c++/src/Reader.cc#L294>
[2] https://github.com/apache/orc/blob/728b1d19c7fa0f09e460aea37092f76cbdefd140/c%2B%2B/src/Compression.cc#L545<https://github.com/apache/orc/blob/728b1d19c7fa0f09e460aea37092f76cbdefd140/c++/src/Compression.cc#L545>

On May 30, 2019, at 11:17 PM, Shankar Iyer <shiyer22@gmail.com<mailto:shiyer22@gmail.com>>