orc-dev mailing list archives

From Fang Zheng <zhengfang.x...@gmail.com>
Subject Usage of ORC_UNIQUE_PTR
Date Wed, 31 Oct 2018 00:17:59 GMT
Hi,

I have a question about the usage of ORC_UNIQUE_PTR in C++ code:

The ORC_UNIQUE_PTR macro is used intensively in the public header files in
c++/include/. On the other hand, among those files in c++/src/ directory,
std::unique_ptr appears much more frequently than ORC_UNIQUE_PTR (356 vs.
16 by grep). In fact, some function declarations in header files use
ORC_UNIQUE_PTR while the definitions in src use std::unique_ptr (please see
JIRA ORC-428 and the pull request: https://github.com/apache/orc/pull/331).

Assuming that ORC_UNIQUE_PTR is intended to work regardless of whether
std::unique_ptr is available, I am wondering if ORC_UNIQUE_PTR should be
preferred in the entire c++ codebase.

Thanks,

Fang