orc-dev mailing list archives

From "周宇睿(闻拙)" <yurui....@alibaba-inc.com>
Subject Re: Re: Arrow Support of Orc
Date Mon, 16 Jul 2018 08:23:53 GMT
Hi All:

Currently Arrow provides a naive implementation on converting ColumnVectorBatch to Arrow’s
RecordBatch, which involves a lot of overheads on memcopying and transcodeing.

We would like to add a native api set to allow user directly reading data from ORC file to
Arrow’s RecordBatch, the new api set will be separated from current ColumnVectorBatch api
so that we won’t raise any backward compatibility issue.

Creating a new api set is not an elegent solution and it requires more maintenance effort.
But given Arrow’s currently momentum and it’s benefits on sharing columnar data across
various platforms and data format. We believe it worth to enable Arrow support on ORC.

Any advice would be appreciated.
Thanks
Yurui

from Alimail macOS
 ------------------Original Mail ------------------
Sender:Xiening Dai <xndai.git@live.com>
Send Date:Fri Jul 6 01:25:34 2018
Recipients:dev@orc.apache.org <dev@orc.apache.org>
Subject:Re: Arrow Support of Orc
I haven’t done profiling. The major overhead I can see is the conversion from ColumnVectorBatch
to Arrow’s RecordBatch, which involves memory copy and some transcoding. Also the current
adapter only supports reading entire stripe as a batch, which in a lot of cases is not ideal.
I agree that we should maintain backward compatibility. I am thinking if we could expose another
set of interface for Arrow which is built on top of the same ColumnReader/ColumnWriter classes.