orc-dev mailing list archives

From "Owen O'Malley" <owen.omal...@gmail.com>
Subject Re: Alternatives to JMH for the benchmarking code
Date Sat, 28 Apr 2018 02:08:19 GMT
Ok, after more discussions and a thread over on Apache's legal-discuss, it
looks like we are generally fine for category X dependencies for optional
features as long as we don't distribute binaries that include the feature.
Since the benchmarks are non-user facing, it isn't a problem to not
distribute binaries.

My last message on legal discuss included:

Ok, my interpretation is that our benchmark modules are an "optional
> feature" since they aren't intended for end user use. They are intended for
> developers to test the system.
> That said, at least for ORC, I intend to take the additional steps:
> * Remove the benchmark module from the top-level build scripts. This will
> ensure that it is only built explicitly by the developer.
> * Not publish the binaries from the benchmark module to Maven Central or
> as convenience binaries.
> Any concerns?

.. Owen