orc-dev mailing list archives

From "Owen O'Malley" <owen.omal...@gmail.com>
Subject Re: ORC double encoding optimization proposal
Date Mon, 26 Mar 2018 23:23:10 GMT
This is a really interesting conversation. Of course, the original use case
for ORC was that you were never reading less than a stripe. So putting all
of the data streams for a column back to back, which isn't in the spec, but
should be, was optimal in terms of seeks.

There are two cases that violate this assumption:
* you are using predicate push down and thus only need to read a few row
groups.
* you are extending the reader to interleave the compression and io.

So a couple of layouts come to mind:

* Finish the compression chunks at the row group (10k rows) and interleave
the streams for the column for each row group.
  This would help with both predicate pushdown and the async io reader.
  We would lose some compression by closing the compression chunks early
and have additional overhead to track the sizes for the row group.
  On the plus side we could simplify the indexes because the compression
chunks would always align with with row groups.

* Divide each 256k (larger?) with the proportional part of each stream.
Thus if the column has 3 streams and they were 50%, 30%, and 20% we would
take
  that much data from each 256k. This wouldn't reduce the compression or
require any additional metadata, since the reader could determine the
number of
  bytes of each stream per a "page". This wouldn't help very much for PPD,
but would help for the async io reader.

So which use case maters the most? What other layouts would be interesting?

.. Owen