orc-dev mailing list archives

From "Xu, Cheng A" <cheng.a...@intel.com>
Subject ORC double encoding optimization proposal
Date Mon, 19 Mar 2018 07:57:49 GMT
Hi folks,
According to our evaluation and analysis by combining the existing work [1] from Teddy Choi
and Owen O'Malley with some new compression codec (e.g. ZSTD and Brotli), we proposed to prompt
FLIP as the default encoding for ORC double type to move this feature forwards.
Currently we have five kinds of supported double encoding optimizations: plain v2, FPC_v1,
FPC_v2, FLIP, Split [1]. Equipping with various encoding can handle different use scenarios
but it will increase the burdens from end point users to make a "smart" choice. It's very
necessary to have a preference as the default encoding type. To choose the "best" encoding
among those encodings, two major factors needed to be considered: throughput and space efficiency.
In real world usage, compression is enabled by default. For throughput, it can be bottled
at either compression part or encoding part. As for the space efficiency, , encodings like
FPC V1, FPC V2 and Split can also serve for the goal of space efficiency similar to compression.
Our evaluation is based on a few artificial and non-artificial data set. For the artificial
data set which has low cardinality, it should go directly into dictionary encoding. So we
will choose HEPMASS for the data set to reduce the complexity for analysis first. Now let's
go through the evaluating data of those encoding one by one:

*         Split
Benefiting from underlying run length encoding, split can compress the original data to some
extends (Compression=NONE, compression ratio=47.28%). If encoding is chose as SPLIT, the compression
ratio will not be too much better even using codec like ZLIB (44.36%). If SPLIT is chosen
as the underlying encoding, compression will have negative impacts on the throughput with
limited space efficiency.
In summary, Split has 309MB/s in read and 82MB/s in write with 47.28% compression ratio.

Data Set

Encoding

Compression

Read Throughput (MB/s)

Write Throughput (MB/s)

Compression Ratio

HEPMASS

SPLIT

NONE

309.5525998

82.928411

47.28%

HEPMASS

SPLIT

LZO

326.1146497

62.21142279

47.02%

HEPMASS

SPLIT

ZLIB

223.1909329

32.31915222

44.36%

HEPMASS

SPLIT

SNAPPY

340.4255319

82.71405647

46.71%

HEPMASS

SPLIT

ZSTD

295.2710496

76.87687831

43.15%

HEPMASS

SPLIT

BROTLI

174.1496599

77.06201227

43.12%

*         FLIP
Since FLIP itself doesn't have compression functionality, we need to combine some compression
codec to archive the similar compression functionalities as Split. On HEPMASS data set, FLIP
has 640MB/s in read and 247MB/s in write with 61.59% compression ratio using LZO. And also
it has 266MB/s in READ and 145MB/s in write with 52.39%. In summary, FLIP is a good balance
for space efficiency and throughput and user can choose different compression codec to choose
different goal (high compression or high throughput).

Data Set

Encoding

Compression

Read Throughput (MB/s)

Write Throughput (MB/s)

Compression Ratio

HEPMASS

FLIP

NONE

775.7575758

587.1559742

100.00%

HEPMASS

FLIP

LZO

640

247.1042517

61.59%

HEPMASS

FLIP

ZLIB

272.0510096

19.21056617

52.95%

HEPMASS

FLIP

SNAPPY

595.3488372

261.4913225

59.49%

HEPMASS

FLIP

ZSTD

266.3891779

145.7858797

52.39%

HEPMASS

FLIP

BROTLI

64.84295846

122.3709392

53.11%

*         FPC V1
FPC V1 is similar to FPC V2 with little difference in endian mode. We choose FPC V1 in our
analysis. FPC_V1 can also serve for the compression (75.76% compression ratio when compression=NONE).
Like Split, extended compression codec does not contribute too much higher compression ratio
(66.40%-75%) while bottleneck the throughput. In summary, FPC is not compression friendly
(66% - 75%) while throughput is close to FLIP and worse than it with compression codec applied.

Data Set

Encoding

Compression

Read Throughput (MB/s)

Write Throughput (MB/s)

Compression Ratio

HEPMASS

FPC_V1

NONE

469.7247706

324.8731025

75.76%

HEPMASS

FPC_V1

LZO

474.0740741

310.6796174

75.76%

HEPMASS

FPC_V1

ZLIB

189.2091648

20.84011761

66.19%

HEPMASS

FPC_V1

SNAPPY

456.3279857

298.7164583

75.51%

HEPMASS

FPC_V1

ZSTD

238.1395349

183.7760264

66.35%

HEPMASS

FPC_V1

BROTLI

53.50052247

165.695796

66.40%

*         Plain V2
To archive a good balance of compression and throughput, we need to consider ZSTD or ZLIB
for the compression codec. Then its throughput will be 200 ~ 600 MB/s in READ and 100 ~ 1000MB/s
in write. It's also not good enough as FLIP encoding.

Data Set

Encoding

Compression

Read Throughput (MB/s)

Write Throughput (MB/s)

Compression Ratio

HEPMASS

PLAIN_V2

NONE

349.2496589

1153.153175

100.00%

HEPMASS

PLAIN_V2

LZO

571.4285714

236.162366

65.07%

HEPMASS

PLAIN_V2

ZLIB

304.3995244

10.14544465

54.15%

HEPMASS

PLAIN_V2

SNAPPY

442.1416235

278.5636613

76.60%

HEPMASS

PLAIN_V2

ZSTD

242.6540284

144.0630303

56.25%

HEPMASS

PLAIN_V2

BROTLI

43.99381337

96.67673896

59.33%

Other data set, we can observe a similar conclusion as that in HEPMAS data set. As the result,
FLIP is a good choice for compression and throughput balance. It's compression friendly unlike
Split and FPC. And it brings good throughput than plain V2 with similar compression ratio.
So we suggest to use FLIP as the default encoding for double type in ORC.

[1] https://github.com/apache/orc/pull/189

Appendix I - Details about our micro-benchmark: