orc-dev mailing list archives

From "Owen O'Malley" <omal...@apache.org>
Subject ORC Board status report
Date Wed, 11 Jan 2017 21:10:22 GMT
As always at the start of the quarter, we need to make a report to the
Apache Board. Here is my proposed report. Feedback is appreciated.

.. Owen

Attachment AW: Report from the Apache ORC Project  [Owen O'Malley]

 A high-performance columnar file format for Hadoop workloads.

## Issues:
 - There are no issues requiring the board's attention.

## Activity:
 - There was considerable concern among the Hive committers about
   losing their ability to make changes to the ORC code base as we
   finish replacing the copy of ORC's code base in Hive with a
   reference to the ORC project's release artifacts. The ORC PMC voted
   to allow the current Hive committers to become ORC
   committers. Twenty of the Hive committers accepted the offer and
   have been added. I feel this is good for the project, but it may
   induce some short term turmoil with the large influx of new
   committers.
 - On a separate note, the ORC PMC also added Gopal Vijayaraghavan as
   a PMC member. Gopal has done a lot of great work on ORC's
   performance and is a great addition to the PMC.
 - We made two bug fix releases on the 1.2 line and will likely
   make a 1.3 release in the next quarter.

## Health report:
 - We need to finish Hive's migration from its own ORC code base to
   use our release artifacts. Having two copies of the code in
   different projects is very hard to mantain.
 - We are seeing some new contributors, which is great.

## PMC changes:

 - Currently 7 PMC members.
 - Gopal Vijayaraghavan was added to PMC on Jan 08 2017

## Committer base changes:

 - Currently 32 committers.
 - New commmitters:
    - Aihua Xu was added as a committer on Fri Dec 16 2016
    - Lalam Chinna Rao was added as a committer on Fri Dec 16 2016
    - Chaoyu Tang was added as a committer on Thu Dec 15 2016
    - Jianyong Dai was added as a committer on Fri Dec 16 2016
    - Eugene Koifman was added as a committer on Thu Dec 15 2016
    - Ashutosh Chauhan was added as a committer on Thu Dec 15 2016
    - Jesús Camacho Rodríguez was added as a committer on Fri Dec 16 2016
    - Jason Dere was added as a committer on Thu Dec 15 2016
    - Lars Francke was added as a committer on Wed Dec 21 2016
    - Rui Li was added as a committer on Fri Dec 16 2016
    - Mithun Radhakrishnan was added as a committer on Thu Dec 15 2016
    - Matt McCline was added as a committer on Thu Dec 15 2016
    - Pengcheng Xiong was added as a committer on Thu Dec 15 2016
    - Rajesh Balamohan was added as a committer on Thu Dec 15 2016
    - Sergio Peña was added as a committer on Fri Dec 16 2016
    - Siddharth Seth was added as a committer on Mon Jan 09 2017
    - Vaibhav Gumashta was added as a committer on Thu Dec 15 2016
    - Wei Zheng was added as a committer on Thu Dec 15 2016
    - Ferdinand Xu was added as a committer on Wed Jan 04 2017
    - Yongzhi Chen was added as a committer on Fri Dec 16 2016

## Releases:

 - 1.2.2 was released on Wed Nov 30 2016
 - 1.2.3 was released on Sun Dec 11 2016

## JIRA activity: