orc-dev mailing list archives

From Chris Douglas <cdoug...@apache.org>
Subject Re: [VOTE] Create ORC bylaws
Date Thu, 13 Aug 2015 21:15:52 GMT
On Thu, Aug 13, 2015 at 12:38 PM, Lefty Leverenz
<leftyleverenz@gmail.com> wrote:
> -0
>
> Although overall these are great bylaws (kudos to Owen), I still have
> qualms about the lazy 2/3 majority for removing a committer or PMC member.
> I would prefer consensus approval but I understand that removals are
> extremely rare, so I'll go along with the lazy 2/3 majority rule.

It's unheard of, really. The board changed the foundation bylaws in
2013 so a PMC could only request that the board forcibly remove
someone [1,2]. -C

[1] Summary from announcement:
"REMOVALS
Any [forced] removal requires a decision by the Board. That typically
means passing a resolution at our next Board meeting. The PMC Chair
should email board@ with the removal request and a
rationale/explanation for the removal."
[2] http://www.apache.org/dev/pmc.html#newpmc
"Typically, PMC members who are no longer able to participate will
resign from the PMC. However, if a PMC chooses to remove one of its
members, then it must request the Board to make that decision (which
is typically done with a resolution at the Board's next meeting). The
request to the Board's mailing list should provide a rationale for the
decision."