orc-dev mailing list archives

From "Owen O'Malley" <omal...@apache.org>
Subject Re: [DISCUSS] Creating Orc bylaws
Date Mon, 20 Jul 2015 22:00:30 GMT
On Mon, Jul 13, 2015 at 11:38 PM, Lefty Leverenz <leftyleverenz@gmail.com>
wrote:

> I have some questions and comments, plus a long list of edits and trivia.
> I'll put the latter in a separate message tomorrow.
>
> Introduction
>
>    - '*Be collaborative.* Working together on the open lists to make
>    decisions helps the project grow.' -- Does 'open lists' mean the mailing
>    lists?  How about 'open mailing lists, JIRA, and review board'?  (or
> 'bug
>    database' instead of JIRA)

Yes, I meant the open mailing lists. Ok, to keep things general, I'll use
"open mailing lists and bug database". (We don't have a review board set up
and have been using the github integration.)

> Committers
>
>    - Please explain active vs. emeritus, for example by adding a sentence
>    such as 'Emeritus committers are inactive and lose their ability to
>    commit code or cast binding votes.'

ok

>    - Are emeritus committers removed from the Apache committers mailing
>    list?

 There aren't any committer only email lists, but no I don't think we
should remove emeritus pmc members from private.

> Release Manager
>
>    - Why must release managers be committers?  (In Hive that's not
>    required.)

It makes everything much easier if they are committers. In particular, they
should make the release branch at Apache instead of github. That only works
if they are committers.

>    - 'The RM shall publish a Release Plan on the dev mailing list' -- Note
>    that the Actions section doesn't include release plans, so this sentence
>    implies that the RM makes all the decisions.

I think that formal approval of the release plans shouldn't be required. If
the PMC doesn't accept the release plan, they can vote against the release.