orc-dev mailing list archives

From Lefty Leverenz <leftylever...@gmail.com>
Subject Re: [DISCUSS] Creating Orc bylaws
Date Tue, 14 Jul 2015 06:38:50 GMT
I have some questions and comments, plus a long list of edits and trivia.
I'll put the latter in a separate message tomorrow.

Introduction

   - '*Be collaborative.* Working together on the open lists to make
   decisions helps the project grow.' -- Does 'open lists' mean the mailing
   lists?  How about 'open mailing lists, JIRA, and review board'?  (or 'bug
   database' instead of JIRA)

Committers

   - Please explain active vs. emeritus, for example by adding a sentence
   such as 'Emeritus committers are inactive and lose their ability to
   commit code or cast binding votes.'
   - Are emeritus committers removed from the Apache committers mailing
   list?

Release Manager

   - Why must release managers be committers?  (In Hive that's not
   required.)
   - 'The RM shall publish a Release Plan on the dev mailing list' -- Note
   that the Actions section doesn't include release plans, so this sentence
   implies that the RM makes all the decisions.

Project Management Committee

   - Again, explain active vs. emeritus.
   - Are emeritus PMC members taken off the private mailing list?

Voting

   - Although it's hedged with 'In general ...', I have qualms about saying
   a +1 vote indicates willingness to make it happen.  I've already given some
   +1 votes on the Orc project without any intention of lifting a finger to
   take the action.  [DISCUSS]
   - Why no vanilla '0' vote, as well as '+0' and '-0'?  [DISCUSS]
   - 'Non binding votes are still useful for those with binding votes to
   understand the perception of an action in the wider Orc community.' --

-- Lefty