openwhisk-dev mailing list archives

From "David P Grove" <gro...@us.ibm.com>
Subject Re: Road to Scala 2.13
Date Wed, 20 Nov 2019 18:52:31 GMT

"Markus Thömmes" <markusthoemmes@apache.org> wrote on 11/20/2019 10:44:21
AM:

> Hey fellow Openwhiskers,
>
> I somewhat fancy a little bit of Scala action and wanted to give updating
> Openwhisk to Scala 2.13 a shot. They have reworked quite a bit in Scala
> 2.13 and keeping track with the versions might be very valuable,
especially
> if Dotty comes around eventually.
>
> To pull that off, we'll need to bump quite a few libraries, some of them
> even in their major version. I plan to send each of those major upgrades
as
> individual PRs, so we can pinpoint potential issues via git bisecting if
> necessary.
>
> We'll see if there are more dragons, but I'm happy to work through them
> some extent :). Is anybody concerned with doing this move in general and
> with the process laid out specifically?

Generally sounds good; happy to have someone pushing on chasing language
versions :)

One thing to be careful of is that many downstream repos (runtime,
providers) depend on the test suite from the core repo.  We had a couple
rounds of breakage in the last few months where a test suite change got a
clean core travis run, but still broke all the downstream repos leading to
some hasty fixing and/or reverting.

-dave