openwhisk-dev mailing list archives

From Chetan Mehrotra <chetan.mehro...@gmail.com>
Subject Capturing Activation response size as part of User Events (#4660)
Date Thu, 03 Oct 2019 09:44:03 GMT
Hi  Team,

I would like to capture the activation response size as part of user event
data. This would allow us to understand the distribution of response size
across various invocations. This would be useful input for the Activation
Persister Service work (#4632)

For this purpose a PR is opened (#4660) which captures the HTTP response
string size and makes it part of `ActivationResponse` -> `WhiskActivation`
-> `Activation` flow

The size could have been computed at `Activation` level only but that would
have added the overhead of serializing the response json object to json
string. In current used approach the size is pre known when we construct
the ActivationResponse

Currently with this change a new numeric `size` attribute would get added
to the `WhiskActivation` json representation which gets stored in db.
Technically we can avoid making it part of persisted json as this value is
only needed while constructing the `Activation` instance from in memory
`WhiskActivation` instance

Questions

1. Is current approach fine
2. Should we avoid persisting the size attribute
3. Or would it be ok to get size by converting the response to json string
while constructing Activation instance in UserEvent flow

Chetan Mehrotra
[1] https://github.com/apache/openwhisk/pull/4632
[2] https://github.com/apache/openwhisk/pull/4660