openwhisk-dev mailing list archives

From Alessio Marinelli <marinelli_ales...@yahoo.it.INVALID>
Subject Re: Porting Knative on Openwhisk
Date Thu, 10 Oct 2019 15:18:41 GMT
 ok, thanks, Alessio
    Il giovedì 10 ottobre 2019, 16:14:54 CEST, Michele Sciabarra <michele@sciabarra.com>
ha scritto:

 Hi Alessio, thanks for your help.

Basically, the task is to write implement in the runtime an adapter that will allow Knative
images, that are basically simply http servers, to satisfy the contract of the OpenWhisk actions.

There is already an implementation in Javascript here:
https://github.com/apache/openwhisk-runtime-nodejs/blob/master/core/nodejsActionBase/platform/knative.js

The contract is split in /init and /run behaviour
I already did the work for the init part although I have to change it to work in the same
way the Javascript implementation works. I will take care of it.

I would ask you to implement support of the /run part. Basically it means:

- accepting an http request in the root path
- create a single line json that encodes the values that an action expects, as described here:
https://github.com/apache/openwhisk/blob/master/docs/actions-new.md (look for activation)
- feed the json to the underlying action executor that is already running after the initalization

- collect the answer and decode it in order to provide the expected http answer. For a web
action it must implement the web action contract as described here:
https://github.com/apache/openwhisk/blob/master/docs/webactions.md

otherwise just return an action.

The javascript knative.js code should provide a good guidance on the details. For anything
else just ask, either here or on slack.

 Go the same implementation here:

--
  Michele Sciabarra