openwhisk-dev mailing list archives

From "Sven Lange-Last" <sven.lange-l...@de.ibm.com>
Subject RE: Dangers of renaming and removing runtime kinds
Date Tue, 17 Sep 2019 06:42:43 GMT
Hello Dave,

I absolutely agree that all adopters running Apache Openwhisk as a private
or public production offering will or even should have their own runtimes
manifest - like we do in IBM.

At the same time, we are using the Apache Openwhisk test suite to run
against our IBM version of the system. When action kinds change in this
test suite ("java" to "java:8"), this requires some work on our side. I
admit that's our problem.

With my proposal to improve documentation, I wanted to make adopters aware
of what runtime changes mean. Even if adopters have their own version of
the runtimes manifest, I guess they start with a copy of the Apache
Openwhisk default manifest. So when they set up their runtime manifest,
they hopefully keep the new description to make maintainers of the file
aware that removal of runtime kinds needs to be planned carefully.

Mit freundlichen Grüßen / Regards,

Sven Lange-Last
Senior Software Engineer
IBM Cloud Functions
Apache OpenWhisk

E-mail: sven.lange-last@de.ibm.com
Find me on:

Schoenaicher Str. 220
Boeblingen, 71032
Germany

Vorsitzende des Aufsichtsrats: Martina Koederitz
Geschäftsführung: Dirk Wittkopp
Sitz der Gesellschaft: Böblingen / Registergericht: Amtsgericht Stuttgart,
HRB 243294