openwhisk-dev mailing list archives

From Tyson Norris <tnor...@adobe.com.INVALID>
Subject Re: Passing TransactionId as part of action invocation
Date Wed, 21 Aug 2019 17:08:59 GMT
I think the point of transaction id in this case is to correlate multiple activations, similar
to how a sequence works, but not relying on sequence as the mechanism for doing this.

Today, if you launch many activations explicitly, e.g. using OW SDK in your nodejs action,
they are not "related" to each other, and this would offer a way to work around that. Initially,
just storing the transaction id, means that operators can create queries to stitch multiple
activations that originated from the same request. It would also be possible to expose transaction
id to users in the same way that activation id is using a first class API, maybe as part of
the existing activation API, e.g. GET o/api/v1/namespaces/_/activations?tid=<transactionid>

Users can certainly use APIs wrong, but with decent documentation, I don't think this should
dissuade us from providing the feature.

Thanks
Tyson