openwhisk-dev mailing list archives

From James Thomas <jthomas...@gmail.com>
Subject Re: Updating our contributions guide
Date Tue, 16 Jul 2019 12:27:10 GMT
On Sat, 13 Jul 2019 at 22:07, Matt Sicker <boards@gmail.com> wrote:

> I've looked around for some existing guidelines around CLA
> requirements, and so far I've found this:
>
> https://www.apache.org/licenses/contributor-agreements.html#clas
>
> So basically, the general idea I've seen is that small, trivial
> changes do not require an ICLA, but anything non-trivial should
> request one in order to establish provenance of the code over time.

I've been looking at other larger ASF projects and can't find any
reference to CLAs needed for contributions. This does seem to conflict
with the advice on that page...

Here's some examples:
https://kafka.apache.org/contributing.html
https://cordova.apache.org/contribute/contribute_guidelines.html
https://github.com/apache/couchdb/blob/master/CONTRIBUTING.md

I've also discovered this blog post
(https://apetro.ghost.io/apache-contributors-no-cla/) which looks at
this issue and links to a mailing list thread:
http://mail-archives.apache.org/mod_mbox/www-infrastructure-dev/201112.mbox/%3CA603FFCE-623B-43E9-87F8-39BAA51C72D1@gbiv.com%3E

with the following passage...
"We don't need a CLA on file to accept contributions from
non-committers. We just need a clear intent by the author to
contribute under our normal terms."

There are other links in the blog post to ASF projects discussing this
in the past and coming to the same conclusion.
--
Regards,
James Thomas