openwhisk-dev mailing list archives

From Dominic Kim <style9...@gmail.com>
Subject Allow temporal unused codes to include a big change.
Date Thu, 04 Jul 2019 16:05:02 GMT
Hello, whiskers.

I am trying to contribute this:
https://github.com/apache/incubator-openwhisk/pull/4532

At first, I tried to open a base branch and merge all incremental PRs into
the branch.
And finally mege the base branch into the master after the implementation
is done.
Surely, reviewers would review all the subsequent PRs and it will be based
on SPI and disabled by default at first, there would be no big issue I
think.

And Markus suggested to incrementally merge all PRs into the master instead
of having a big base branch.
https://github.com/apache/incubator-openwhisk/pull/4532#issuecomment-508519119

With the former, we don't need to include temporal unused codes but need to
include a big possibly disruptive PR at once.
With the latter, there will be some temporal unused components in the
master at some point, but we can make sure merged codes do not induce any
issue. And actually the latter is easier for me as well : )

If we all agree with including the temporal unused codes in the master, I
am happy to work in the way Markus suggested.

One example of a temporal code is this:
https://github.com/apache/incubator-openwhisk/pull/4532/files#diff-1d7110b32c507a6ef4ac956c287e77ebR24

Since there is no other component, the "scheduler" cannot initialize all
components in the main function and there is only `println("Hello")` in the
initial version of the main function.

Please let me know your thoughts.

Best regards
Dominic