openwhisk-dev mailing list archives

From Matt Sicker <boa...@gmail.com>
Subject Re: Updating our contributions guide
Date Sat, 13 Jul 2019 21:07:06 GMT
I've looked around for some existing guidelines around CLA
requirements, and so far I've found this:

https://www.apache.org/licenses/contributor-agreements.html#clas

This relates eventually to the provenance of source code hosted at the ASF:

https://www.apache.org/foundation/license-faq.html#provenance

So basically, the general idea I've seen is that small, trivial
changes do not require an ICLA, but anything non-trivial should
request one in order to establish provenance of the code over time.
Remember, safe, business-friendly licensing of all our software is the
key point to address here, so anything we do here should align with
that. Since trivial contributions are not usually covered by
copyright, there's no need to establish more formalities around them.
Larger ones would retain their own new copyright, and the ICLA is
there to help ensure the contributions are made along the same rules
as the ALv2.

On Tue, 9 Jul 2019 at 03:06, Rodric Rabbah <rodric@gmail.com> wrote:

> It was pointed out that our contributing guide sets a higher bar than other Apache projects
by requiring an ICLA.

> Looking at some of the other successful Apache projects they do a better job explaining
how to contribute, and all the ways someone can be contributor, and how to open a PR, testing
and how reviewing works.

--
Matt Sicker <boards@gmail.com>