openwhisk-dev mailing list archives

From Martin Henke <martin.he...@web.de>
Subject Re: Using Rust for the KnativeWhisk controller
Date Tue, 16 Jul 2019 06:53:09 GMT
Michele,

Two thoughts:

1) For writing a controller in Knative I  recommend to choose Go instead of Rust (even when
I like Rust more).
With Go you can leverage the fantastic Operator SDK from Redhat which makes writing controllers
fairly
simple (I had my first one up and running in under an hour).
Link: https://github.com/operator-framework/operator-sdk

The getting started guide is a good starting point:
https://github.com/operator-framework/getting-started

It also addresses the lifecycle of an controller with the Lifecycle Manager:
https://github.com/operator-framework/operator-lifecycle-manager
(I have not yet used this myself)

2) I think we should clearly separate the Knative work from Openwhisk and stay there with
 a strict Scala only policy
(with the existing  exceptions).
Introducing more languages would in my opinion  lead to maintenance problems and the waste
of  build up skills.

Regards,
Martin

> On 15. Jul 2019, at 11:58, Michele Sciabarra <michele@sciabarra.com> wrote:
>
> Hello all,
>
> In my efforts to work a Kanative Whisk, I reached the point where I have a kit with tekton-pipelines,
knatve-serving building an actionlooop based runtime. Now I need to implement a controller,
in order to use the existing wsk tooling.

> I know there is a prototype kwsk implementation made by redhat,  written in Go but looks
like it is obsolete and unfinished, and to the best of my knowledge, abandoned.

> I would like to resume the effort of writing an updated controller. I actually already
have a prototype using the Julia language. Julia is really awesome, Python simplicity and
Go speed, but I feed the community would disagree on using Julia.  Of course if I am wrong...
let me know because that would be my preferred choice.

> However, I feel that,  given our Scala background, Rust would be a much better choice
for the KnativeWhisk controller.  So I propose to use Rust for the KwhiskController.