openwhisk-dev mailing list archives

From "Michele Sciabarra" <mich...@sciabarra.com>
Subject Re: Looking to contribute; which areas need some love?
Date Sat, 20 Jul 2019 19:39:39 GMT
I world consider addimg Couchdb support To a project like this https://kubedb.com/ since is
supports very different dbs probably it is easier than starts from scratch

--
 Michele Sciabarra
 michele@sciabarra.com

----- Original message -----
From: Matt Sicker <boards@gmail.com>
To: dev@openwhisk.apache.org
Subject: Re: Looking to contribute; which areas need some love?
Date: Saturday, July 20, 2019 9:28 PM

Unfortunately, the couchdb operator is unlicensed and hasn't been
updated in a couple years. That does indicate that the author is
_probably_ willing to either donate the code or attach a proper
license to it at least. I filed an issue [1], so perhaps this route
might work out after all.

[1]: https://github.com/nicolai86/couchdb-operator/issues/1

On Sat, 20 Jul 2019 at 14:15, Matt Sicker <boards@gmail.com> wrote:

> Oh this is fun doing archeology on other projects (CouchDB in this
> case). I recognize one of the typical PR reviewers from elsewhere, and
> it appears that the DNS SRV based cluster discovery feature hasn't
> been merged upstream yet. This might turn into a neat opportunity for
> us to connect more with the CouchDB PMC. I'll link back any upstream
> issues.
>
> On Sat, 20 Jul 2019 at 14:02, Matt Sicker <boards@gmail.com> wrote:
> >
> > Thanks for the link! That looks like an even easier way to support
> > CouchDB for sure. I'll play around with each option to see which makes
> > more sense to prototype.
> >
> > On Sat, 20 Jul 2019 at 13:41, Michele Sciabarra <michele@sciabarra.com> wrote:
> > >
> > > A critical aspect to consider is backup. There is an operator in the work (that
is the primary reason so far to use an external CouchDB) There is an operator in the work
that may be useful https://github.com/nicolai86/couchdb-operator

> > > --
> > > Michele Sciabarra
> > > michele@sciabarra.com

needed feature is to add support for clustered CouchDb in the helm chart. It is the only missing
pieces to allow for a true ‘production’ CouchDb. Kafka is already clustered, CouchDb is
not. David recommend to use an external one but it is not always an option when you have an
internal deployment for example.

I see