openwhisk-dev mailing list archives

From "Michele Sciabarra" <mich...@sciabarra.com>
Subject Using Rust for the KnativeWhisk controller
Date Mon, 15 Jul 2019 09:58:58 GMT
Hello all,

In my efforts to work a Kanative Whisk, I reached the point where I have a kit with tekton-pipelines,
knatve-serving building an actionlooop based runtime. Now I need to implement a controller,
in order to use the existing wsk tooling.

I know there is a prototype kwsk implementation made by redhat,  written in Go but looks like
it is obsolete and unfinished, and to the best of my knowledge, abandoned.

I would like to resume the effort of writing an updated controller. I actually already have
a prototype using the Julia language. Julia is really awesome, Python simplicity and Go speed,
but I feed the community would disagree on using Julia.  Of course if I am wrong... let me
know because that would be my preferred choice.

However, I feel that,  given our Scala background, Rust would be a much better choice for
the KnativeWhisk controller.  So I propose to use Rust for the KwhiskController.

What does the community think of the proposal?

--
  Michele Sciabarra
  michele@sciabarra.com