openwhisk-dev mailing list archives

From Matt Rutkowski <mrutkow...@apache.org>
Subject Re: Cleaning up old images on Docker Hub, help confirming candidates
Date Thu, 27 Jun 2019 16:54:36 GMT
Carlos,

>From the list, to my knowledge, none of these are actively used for current Travis/Jenkins...
do any jump out as you as ones we could not deprecate (effectively delete)?  Mainly concerned
over the aberrant Swift ones that look like early "one offs" which you may have insight on?

thx, matt

On 2019/06/26 10:06:01, Carlos Santana <csantana23@gmail.com> wrote:
> I think the images being actively used by Travis or jenkins testing should remain in
the current repository their current usage should be as nightly builds only intended for dev
and build integrating testing.

> I think having the tag latest is not a big deal as it’s a default tag when pulling
containers, but I’m not going to oppose if someone wants to change it to something like
“dev” or like I had at one point “master” which then Rodric changes to “latest”
:-)

> As for the convenient binaries of the release, I think these images should be build out
of Apache jenkins server using the source code that is already released on the “dist”
directory from Apache distribution server these images should not be in the current “openwhisk”
docker namespace they should be pushed to the Apache “docker.io/apache/incubator-openwhisk-*:version”
[1]
> We also need to check what are the ASF Infra requirements to host an image under the
Apache namespace like the requirement to secure the image by signing the image or just have
the digest/taghash documented for verification.

> [1] https://hub.docker.com/u/apache
>
> - Carlos Santana
> @csantanapr
>
> > On Jun 26, 2019, at 4:00 AM, Rodric Rabbah <rodric@gmail.com> wrote:
> >
> > For the demos, the asciiart image might be from Nick M but I think we can extract
the source into a repo from just the docker image. The spell checker I may have the source
for. It’s a bash script which was covered in a blog post.

> > Do you want to save the sources? We can make them demos under the docker runtime
repo, if so.

> > For ballerina I would leave it. 1.0 is slated for release soon and I’ll pick that
up and update the runtime image.

> > -r
> >
> >> On Jun 25, 2019, at 3:40 PM, Matt Rutkowski <mrutkowski@apache.org> wrote:
> >>
> >> Just made a pass through all images under the "openwhisk" moniker on Docker
Hub:
> >> https://hub.docker.com/u/openwhisk/
> >>
> >> assuring all have valid (short) descriptions and long descriptions that clearly
describe each belonging to our Apache project proper (adapting 2 examples from other Apache
projects, thanks Rodric).  In addition, we BOLDly indicate these are convenience binaries
and point back to the our Apache repos. in github where they are generated from as build artifacts.

> >> Along the way, I found the following images that I believe should be deprecated
(i.e., deleted from Docker Hub) along with my notes as to when they stopped being used/generated
and last build date:

> >> ------------------------------------------
> >> - https://cloud.docker.com/u/openwhisk/repository/docker/openwhisk/action-ballerina-v0.975
(5 months, current version action-ballerina-v0.990.2), same major version, not sure who is
maintaining

> >> -------------------------------------------
> >> replaced by ow-utils:
> >>
> >> - https://cloud.docker.com/u/openwhisk/repository/docker/openwhisk/ansible-runner
(7 months, replaced bu ow-utils image

> >> - https://cloud.docker.com/u/openwhisk/repository/docker/openwhisk/script-runner
 (7 months, replaced bu ow-utils image)
> >>   * deprecated by this PR: https://github.com/apache/incubator-openwhisk/pull/4158

> >> Kube related:
> >>
> >> - https://cloud.docker.com/u/openwhisk/repository/docker/openwhisk/kube-whisk-ansible-runner
(10 months, replaced by ansible-runner)

> >> - https://cloud.docker.com/u/openwhisk/repository/docker/openwhisk/kube-whisk-script-runner
(10 months, replaced by script-runner)

> >> - https://cloud.docker.com/u/openwhisk/repository/docker/openwhisk/kube-kafkapkginstaller
(1 year+)
> >> - https://cloud.docker.com/u/openwhisk/repository/docker/openwhisk/kube-routemgmt
> >> - https://cloud.docker.com/u/openwhisk/repository/docker/openwhisk/kube-openwhisk-catalog
> >>   * deprecated by these PRs
> >>       * https://github.com/apache/incubator-openwhisk-deploy-kube/pull/239 (Kubernetes
YAML removed)
> >>       * https://github.com/apache/incubator-openwhisk-deploy-kube/pull/249 (Dockerfile
removed)

> >> - https://cloud.docker.com/u/openwhisk/repository/docker/openwhisk/kube-couchdb
> >>   * deprecated by these PRs
> >>       * https://github.com/apache/incubator-openwhisk-deploy-kube/pull/239 (Kubernetes
YAML removed)
> >>       * https://github.com/apache/incubator-openwhisk-deploy-kube/pull/261 (uses
ow-utils and initdb.sh script to run ansible playbooks in main OW)

> >> https://cloud.docker.com/u/openwhisk/repository/docker/openwhisk/kube-docker-pull
(now uses ow-utils as part of “helpers”)
> >> * deprecated by these PRs:
> >>   * https://github.com/apache/incubator-openwhisk-deploy-kube/pull/249
> >>   * https://github.com/apache/incubator-openwhisk-deploy-kube/pull/209
> >>
> >> ---------------------------------------------
> >> Not sure of the history of Swift, but it appears that some of these images were
early (dev.,test) attempts at publishing to DockerHub:

> >> - https://cloud.docker.com/u/openwhisk/repository/docker/openwhisk/action-swift-v4.0
(1 year+)
> >> - https://cloud.docker.com/u/openwhisk/repository/docker/openwhisk/action-swift-v4
(1 year+)
> >> - https://cloud.docker.com/u/openwhisk/repository/docker/openwhisk/swift3action
(2+ years ago)
> >> ---------------------------------------------
> >>
> >> Early dev/test images?
> >> - https://cloud.docker.com/u/openwhisk/repository/docker/openwhisk/couchdb-snapshot
 (2+ years ago)
> >> - https://cloud.docker.com/u/openwhisk/repository/docker/openwhisk/couchdb-catalog
 (2+ years ago)

> >> ---------------------------------------------
> >>
> >> Also, found these old Docker SDK samples/demos? which would love to know where
the source code exists for the actual code to see if we want to use as our own examples and
automate builds for (perhaps as part of the SDK).

> >> Note:
> >> * they referenced bluemix home page… REMOVED
> >> * with the quote "This image demonstrates OpenWhisk's support for executing
arbitrary code in a safe manner. Bring your own docker image.”.
> >> * Single tag “latest” (single push)
> >>
> >> https://cloud.docker.com/u/openwhisk/repository/docker/openwhisk/javaaction
 (2+ years ago)
> >> * No description
> >> https://cloud.docker.com/u/openwhisk/repository/docker/openwhisk/thumbnail (3+
years ago)
> >> * A example docker image that creates a polaroid-style thumbnail from a given
image URL.
> >> https://cloud.docker.com/u/openwhisk/repository/docker/openwhisk/asciiart (3+
years ago)
> >> * A example docker image that creates a polaroid-style thumbnail from a given
image URL.
> >> https://cloud.docker.com/u/openwhisk/repository/docker/openwhisk/spellcheck
(3+ years ago)
> >> * A example docker image that includes a spell client that interfaces with aspell.
(sic)

> >> Please comment if these can/should be deleted or if not please let us know why
and how we proceed to make current.