openwhisk-dev mailing list archives

From "David P Grove" <gro...@us.ibm.com>
Subject openwhisk distributions via dockerhub
Date Wed, 19 Jun 2019 19:43:52 GMT

Hi,

Another spinoff from the graduation discussion on the incubator general
list relates to our project's use of dockerhub.  We were pointed to a set
of (unofficial) distribution guidelines [1] that seem fairly sensible to
me.  I've inlined the docker portion of [1]  at the end of this email.

Summarizing, I think there are at least 2 (and perhaps 3) action items for
us to consider and implement.

1. One set of actions is a per-image standardization of the dockerhub
metadata for that image (overview, Dockerfile, disclaimer, etc).  Many of
our images lack this consistent metadata.  A little tedious, but not that
big of a deal.

2. The big item is that I believe we need to re-engineer our CI/CD process
across all of our git repos to replace the use of the 'latest' tag with
'nightly' (or similar).  This is going to be tedious and labor intensive
for us, but given the special treatment of 'latest' by docker pull I
believe it to be unavoidable.  It is a sound principle that a tagless
'docker pull openwhisk/<some-image>' by a user should get an artifact that
corresponds to an official release.  I believe the best implementation for
this is having 'latest' be an alias for the most current official release,
not as an alias for the latest nightly build.

3. Once we have addressed (1) and (2),  we should consider opening a legal
discuss thread to see if we can continue to use /u/openwhisk (with clear
branding that /u/openwhisk is an official distribution channel from the
Apache OpenWhisk (P)PMC) or if we must migrate to /u/apacheopenwhisk or
similar.

--dave

[1]
https://cwiki.apache.org/confluence/display/INCUBATOR/DistributionGuidelines

Docker

Artifacts need to be placed in https://hub.docker.com/r/apache/<project> or
https://hub.docker.com/u/apache<project>/<project>

To comply with ASF release and distributions please ensure the following:
      The overview should include the incubator disclaimer.
      The docker file (if it exists) should include an ASF header.
      The docker file (if it exists) should include the incubator
      disclaimer.
      docker pull apache/<project> should not install an artifact
      containing unapproved code.
      Release candidates, nightlies or snapshots need to be clearly tagged.
      The latest tag should not point to an artifact containing unapproved
      code e.g. to master or dev branches or to a RC or snapshot.