openwhisk-dev mailing list archives

From Rob Allen <...@akrabat.com>
Subject Re: exporting activation arguments to the environment
Date Thu, 27 Jun 2019 11:51:25 GMT
Hi,

In general, I'd rather see a different switch such as `-e` for setting environment variables
as I'm suspicious of a `param` having different meanings which risks confusion.

Regards,

Rob

> On 27 Jun 2019, at 01:21, Tyson Norris <tnorris@adobe.com.INVALID> wrote:
>
> For the incremental change I would suggest:
> - include the action-configured params as args to init
> - optionally: include an invoker flag to optionally remove action-configured params from
being sent to run (these would only be available by way of init setting env vars, or exposing
some other object)
> - runtimes can be updated incrementally to support this flagged invoker behavior
>
> I understand the point on amount of work, I'm just not wanting to sacrifice an awkward
behavior (different treatment for params in upper case) for sake of time. There are some accumulating
issues around init and run so I'm not sure it is worth making the problem worse before addressing
the other issues. I think its ok to change init to receive these params as a minimal change,
but obviously without additional changes either at invoker or in OW's convention for designing
functions (main sig, how to access init vars, context) there will be some incremental pain
as well.

--
Development thoughts at http://akrabat.com
Daily Jotter for macOS at http://dailyjotter.com