openwhisk-dev mailing list archives

From Bertrand Delacretaz <bdelacre...@apache.org>
Subject Re: managing our project trademarks
Date Wed, 12 Jun 2019 12:53:25 GMT
Hi,

On Wed, Jun 12, 2019 at 1:16 PM Rodric Rabbah <rodric@gmail.com> wrote:
> ...Spark is one example that might be useful for reference, available at
> http://spark.apache.org/trademarks.html. It provides appropriate links to
> the ASF [3] and summarizes the key points of the policy...

That's a great example, thanks!

I think we might just copy and adapt it, with credit to the Spark
project (and use "OpenWhiskey" as a derived name example maybe ;-)

> For example, how do we handle the use of OpenWhisk in a GitHub repository
> name? A small sample of searches on popular Apache project names leads one
> to believe this is quite common.  In some cases it may be sufficient for
> the repository to use the full project name "Apache OpenWhisk" prominently
> in the project description and first mentions in the documentation (with
> links to the project website)...

I think that's good enough for a start, ideally pointing to a known
good example.

The goal is just to make it clear that we don't want "confusingly
similar" product or project names and we want credit to be given to
Apache OpenWhisk.

No need to go overboard with this unless a specific case happens, but
as you mention I think having a single URL like the
http://spark.apache.org/trademarks.html example, where all rules and
guidelines are mentioned, helps provide clarity and avoid endless
discussions when edge cases show up.

-Bertrand