openwhisk-dev mailing list archives

From Rodric Rabbah <rod...@gmail.com>
Subject managing our project trademarks
Date Wed, 12 Jun 2019 11:15:51 GMT
The discussion about our graduation on the general list [1] led to a
question relating to how we manage the project trademarks. Specifically,
our project website does not provide any guidance we can point to when
needed. We have previously discussed the use of the OpenWhisk name in a
prior instance [2] but did not document our guidance on the website. Apache
Spark is one example that might be useful for reference, available at
http://spark.apache.org/trademarks.html. It provides appropriate links to
the ASF [3] and summarizes the key points of the policy.

This email is to solicit help authoring our own project trademarks policy
summary page, and to solicit feedback on additional points to summarize
relating to the use of the name OpenWhisk.

For example, how do we handle the use of OpenWhisk in a GitHub repository
name? A small sample of searches on popular Apache project names leads one
to believe this is quite common.  In some cases it may be sufficient for
the repository to use the full project name "Apache OpenWhisk" prominently
in the project description and first mentions in the documentation (with
links to the project website). When do we require an acknowledgement of the
trademark, or ask a repository to be renamed?

-r

[1]
https://lists.apache.org/thread.html/02dd71dcc6b2f326015954388c61d06d12f982fd64f34ee40e076171@%3Cgeneral.incubator.apache.org%3E

[2]